Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question for any GM alternator conversion experts out there.

What's the best alternator to use with the poorboy conversion kit? I'm in the process of gathering the parts to install a poorboy conversion on my new GL1200. On my last GL1200 I installed the usual Nippondenso style unit from Napa, and had to trim off the protective sheetmetal around the voltage regulator on the back to get it to clear the right front carb/ choke mechanism. Even with that modification there was only a few millimeters between a hot screw on the back of the alternator and the choke mechanism.

It looks like the Bosch alternator for the '88-'93 Geo Metros might be a bit more compact, maybe leaving more clearance. Has anyone used the Bosch, or other manufacturers, and had good results with clearance?

Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
You already have the answer you are looking for.

I used a self exciting racing alternator the second time around, it is smaller still, but also needed a smaller pulley (1.75") upon it to charge at a high idle since it does not begin to charge until 1800rpm with the standard 2" pulled and a large sized main pulley.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
PLEASE, you already have threads on this subject, don't start a new thread on the same subject matter. Keep it all in one some we don't have to repost the same answers and figure out what has been given for answers bro. did you read through all the posts that say to use the Geo alternator?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PLEASE, you already have threads on this subject, don't start a new thread on the same subject matter. Keep it all in one some we don't have to repost the same answers and figure out what has been given for answers bro. did you read through all the posts that say to use the Geo alternator?
I sure might've missed something, but I did do a search on that topic, didn't find anything about different kinds of alternators providing more or less clearance around the front left carb choke mechanisms.

I ended up ordering the Bosch so I'll post how it fits when I get it in there.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For anyone who might come along with this question, the Bosch alternator (the one I tried is part # AL4502x) for Geo Metros is too big and won't work with the poorboy conversion kit.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.