Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was on a short run today. Before I left, I pulled the battery for the 2nd time to dbl check fluid levels since the battery was so neglected when I checked it the 1st time. I put it all back together and tyook off. It was charging fine. About 5 minutes later, I look at my voltmeter and it is at 12v instead of 13-14v. I make it home and check the battery with a voltmeter while it's running. 11.8 volts :( Is there something simple to check like a circuit breaker or fuse? or did I fry something in my charging system??

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

UPDATE.... I pulled the battery and put it on a car charger (motorcycle batteries need trickle chargers...I know). Mainly, to see how many amps it would pull. It's a 10amp charger. It pulled 6 amps and never dropped in 10 minutes. I need a new battery today! Anyways, I re-installed the junk battery and low n behold, it's charging again. Headed to get a new battery before I do any real damage to my charging system(if I haven't already). As to the power issues I talked about in previous posts, the bike seems to be running better everytime I ride it. Since I'm no master mechanic, I'm just going to ride it using Berrymans b12 for a few tanks before I have the carbs looked at.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Welcome RayJay ., I for one am a little confused re: the description of the charging of your battery ?
Lets start at the beginning ... you said the bat. had been neglected and i assume you mean low acid level.?
You checked voltage " running " and read 11.8V.?
First off... charge the bat. properly then have it LOAD tested for free at any auto parts store . When you have a GOOD bat.installed , test the alternator output by reving to 3000 rpm and test for 13-14V at the battery . If you read only 12v battery volatage your alt. is not working .

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Looks like you have a 1200. That means you have a stator, unless someone put a Poor Boy Alternator in. Make sure the connector plug in by battery is hard wired. If it has the original connector it is probably toast by now, and getting ready to ruin your stator.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I got the new battery in and it is charging fine. It was weird. With the old battery, it was charging one minute, and the next minute nothing(it only happened once). I do want to run a diagnosis on the charging system in the near future to make sure it's not overcharging. I'm keeping the old battery for my homemade thumper box to take Salt River Tubing in Phoenix :) Last srt trip, I used my dodge battery. That was heavy to carry!! lol

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

make sure to check the stator connectors, they will become hot and melt, especially with a bad battery, which is my theory about why the stators go bad, people let the battery go bad then try to build them back up using the stator and this causes too much heat

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

RayJay, welcome to the forum but ditto what Strucker said about the checking the stator wires. If you haven't already done so (inspecting stator wires/connectors)this is something that every Goldwing owner prior to 1988 has to do. It will require removal of the false gas tank but is worth doing. The most notorious connector is just above the stator and just forward of the battery under the side cover. The white plastic connector may appear burned or corroded or even melted. The idea is to cut out the connector and direct connect the wires to each other by soldering/heat shrinking. A dead battery is often the result of faulty regulator causing overcharging and boiling over of battery. The other connector(s) to check are up by the regulator. In my opinion it is equally important to eliminate these connectors as well. You may have solved the issue with a new battery-certainly a bad one can play tricks-but unless you have a poorboy (aftermarket external alternator mounted under left side fairing), then you have a stator with 3 yellow wires that need attention if this hasn't already been done.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum from mid md/pa area

besides checking the stator connector and the connector at the solenoid,it really sounds like a classsic case of the regulator connector going bad,while you pulled te tank tocheck that its an easier way to stator actually,espeially if the stator wires have been hardwired previously

charging good one min and 11.5 v the next is a classic case of a regulator connector problem,especially when one stator wire gets disconnected(overheated)

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

This past spring my Honda mechanic at the dealership did NOT want to cut the stator wires on my '86 1200. He said it would be too hard to diagnose other problems. BUT he did rewire it with a Honda "upgraded" connection made specifically for the '86. Supposedly to solve the melting problem. So far so good. What do you all think??

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

maestro319 wrote:
This past spring my Honda mechanic at the dealership did NOT want to cut the stator wires on my '86 1200. He said it would be too hard to diagnose other problems. BUT he did rewire it with a Honda "upgraded" connection made specifically for the '86. Supposedly to solve the melting problem. So far so good. What do you all think??
It will probably be better than the original connector but I would certainly keep a close eye on it for overheating.

·
Premium Member
1999 GL 1500 Aspencade SE
60 Posts
imported post

Yes ditto on direct wiring on those 3 yellow wires coming out of the stator, Last year I thought stator was going out and I took connector off and used butt in clamp connectors and didn't solder and heat shrink the 3 wires together. I burned up a gel battery last summer before trip to San Francisco.

I finally soldered and heat shrunk those 3 yellow wires together and I was getting 14.5 volts off the battery after.

I am still using this yearthe cheap Mal-Wart batteryI bought last year. This is 3rd summer I've had bike and every past summer had to replace battery in spring.

Not this year! I would strongly reccomend soldering and heat shrinking those 3 yellow wires.

Terry

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

maestro319 wrote:

Yeah, would that be Dupage Honda?-they said the same thing to me leaving me stranded near Galena. It melts just like the stock one.They can keep their Honda Connector. Change the one by the battery and the one by the regulator will melt, change that one and the new one by the batterywill melt. YADA YADA YADA-solder em!

Dude you are in West Chicago-I'm in Glen Ellyn Near Wheaton I can be there in 10 minutesif you need a hand. My SEI now has 4 connectors removed. 1 by battery, 2 attached to reguator rectifier and 1 near regulator on frame.

PM me pull your shelter an I'll show you what needs doing if you like.

Even the guys at Dupage who seem to understand this problem don't fully grasp it. Also you won't need to do any future testing if your bike is charging properly and if you do-big deal cut and resolder.

I have done long runs using heated grips and a heated vest and so far all is well but I had to get rid of ALL the connectors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.