Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering an extensive rebuild of a 4 cyl goldwing to prove to myself (and others) that a great touring bike doesn't have to weigh in at nearly 900 lbs. since I am weight conscious the external add-on is not a desirable solution for me.

The GL1200 was the most advanced version of the 4cyl but I have read many times about the alternator failures.

I'd like a 1200 for the displacement and FI but don't want to put all the work into a bike with a 30,000 mile (or less) internal stator.

Question: if an aftermarket new stator is installed can it reasonably be expected to last 100k miles?

if no good option I'll probably stick with a GL1100 and carbs unless someone has a better idea.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"The stator will be far more reliable than the FI. Just saying."

I get that. however, the FI at least can be repaired without removing the engine and splitting the cases, something I hope to so only once.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
"The stator will be far more reliable than the FI. Just saying."

I get that. however, the FI at least can be repaired without removing the engine and splitting the cases, something I hope to so only once.
The Honda supplied stator was upgraded as regards to the insulation I was told back in the '90s when I swapped a new stator into my '85 which had 37K on it then as well as some previously poorly spiced wires. The then new Honda statot carried a lifetime warranty with it, still good.
I redid the three yellow wires, new plugs with the crimps of all connectors soldered to their wires, plastic housing properly dielectric greased.
She's up about 80K now and no problems at all since.
And while I did remove the engine (by myself with a small floor jack and a plywood locator plate under engine center) .... only the rear cover came off to do the stator. No case splitting was needed.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
The FI models had a more stout stator than the carbed 1200's. I would think as long as you have a relatively low mile bike and you give it good solid wiring when you do the build you should be just fine. My bike has 121,000 with the original stator. I think the most unrealiable bit on the charging system for the LTD/SEi is the regulator, but as long as you don't cheap out and you go ahead and get the good one, you should be fine.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers :D, this FI system is a beautiful thing :waving:

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,357 Posts
The stator will be far more reliable than the FI. Just saying.
Wilf
:wtf: Where did you get that idea? I had a 85 LTD fuelie for 24 years with absolutely no problems with the fuel injection. It is very reliable.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Dont think for a minute that aftermarket stators are better then oem. Everybody has their oinion on this but I found Electrosport generally had the best reviews. Mine lasted less than 10 minutes. and yes it was brand new.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
:wtf: Where did you get that idea? I had a 85 LTD fuelie for 24 years with absolutely no problems with the fuel injection. It is very reliable.
Yeah but now the FI's are 25 years out and problems will show up with age that never happened 15 years ago. For an FI system it is complicated by today's standards and the self diagnostics are pretty 'crude'. Add to that virtually no parts available without crossing with something else, and a real scarcity of techs who can, will, want to even mess with them and it makes the FI a questionable choice. The carbed models are simple, cleaner, and faster and very easy to repair. When it comes to 1200's, to me choosing the carbed model is a 'no brainer'.

Regarding stators, I agree with some of the posters here that it's really over rated as a problem. Replacing does require engine removal (on all 1200's including the FI model) but it's really pretty easy to do. I've done so many it's almost second nature. I've always used the OE replacement and to my knowledge I've never had to put a second one in for the same person. Make sure the wiring is good, Keep the demands reasonable with extra electrical doo-dads, and especially keep a good fully charged battery in the bike, and the stator should last indefinitely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.