Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where the wire in the picture goes? It's the one with the small blue capacitor ? I've found a bunch of bad wiring on my bike. Lucky most I can figure where there go and have replaced them. But this one I dont have a clue?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
I do believe that somebody added that cap themselves. Probably trying to get some noise out of the radio.

Got no idea where they were trying to use it as a filter. Too bad the ground side isn't the part detached. Would be easy to tell where that went.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
As Rudy said, PO may have added it for a radio.

If you just got the bike, I would get rid of all the added wiring, leave it stock and then wire everything you want to add properly and professionally, it will save you a lot of headaches.

thats what i did right after getting my 1200

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Radio works but the speakers sound bad and the reception is very poor. Oddly even though this bike is turning into the worse purchase I've ever made to date that is. ;) I still can't wait to get it road worthy and start riding. I did everything wrong,everthing I advise others not to do when purchasing a vehical. So now I have learned my lesson time to get over it and make this 84 GL1200 what it should be. Thanks to all for the help so far and whats to yet to come.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As Rudy said, PO may have added it for a radio.

If you just got the bike, I would get rid of all the added wiring, leave it stock and then wire everything you want to add properly and professionally, it will save you a lot of headaches.

thats what i did right after getting my 1200
Thats exactly what I'm doing. It makes it easier to just start over. I'm just not use to my bikes have SO MANY wire. :) I have spent days pulling out half asked wiring and doing it right. It'll all be worth it in the long run.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
I wouldn't wire any of it back until the bike is completely stock and working correctly and then only add and test one extra thing at a time, otherwise you could end up chasing things you didn't have to for a long time.
I've seen this before. Don't get in a hurry hoping to hip shoot it. Face it, take your time and sit down with it like a bonsai tree if you truly want it right. We all know what it's like when we don't take our own advice and it often turns out to be a black hole.
Worst part about one of these is listening to the "See? I told you this was a bad idea. You never listen to me." Fade to black....

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
The Radio works but the speakers sound bad and the reception is very poor. Oddly even though this bike is turning into the worse purchase I've ever made to date that is. ;) I still can't wait to get it road worthy and start riding. I did everything wrong,everthing I advise others not to do when purchasing a vehical. So now I have learned my lesson time to get over it and make this 84 GL1200 what it should be. Thanks to all for the help so far and whats to yet to come.
Don't feel too bad. I'm the go-to guy in may family for car buying advice too. A few years ago I bought a '94 BMW 540i... just because I wanted to (boy I miss having money :sadguy:). Anyway, I spent $3,800 on it. Broke every rule I'd ever told anyone about buying a car... every rule. Wound up spending just over $4,000 to get it up to where I wanted it... sold it for $3,750 :?

It stung, but I considered it an "education" expense. And Rudy's right, the worst part is listening to that constant "I told you so" as you're working on it, makes ya just want to punch the jerk sayin' it :ROFL:. Of course, that just makes it hurt worse :)

Anyway, you ain't the first guy to have to deal with the wiring genius of the dreaded PO... take you're time, make sure you have good, strong solder joints, and follow the ETM... and if you don't have an ETM, get one pronto. Other wise it will be a lot more misserable than it needs to be.

And welcome to the club :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
ETM purchase

the idea of buying an ETM(Honda Electrical Trouibleshooting Manual) is an excellent one,problem is that Honda never sold one for the 84's,......... 85,86,and 87 they did for the 1200's, the 85 may be helpful in some respects but i cant guarantee it for all the circuits,

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree about taking my time. I do appreciate the advice and I'm old enough to understand it too :)
I'm not hooking anything back up until I get it on road for several rides then I start adding them one at a time.
Yes this purchase stings really bad, but at the same time I'm enjoying the project and really looking forward to riding this beast. I work long hours and don't always get two days off a week. So taking my time isnt a choice its a necessity. Sadly I traded a prefectly good bike for this project. A little regert right now but I'm sure once on the road I'll never look back. Keeping my fingers crossed that there are no major issues like motor or transmission. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I thought I bought the only bike that guy had!:waving:

Mine had a clump of rotted capacitors ( I think ), but the most fun was finding a melted fuel level sensor wire. :wtf:

I have a Clymer manual with colored wiring charts. It helps greatly with identification. Keep in mind though, 1 hour figuring out & properly repairing feels like a bigger success than it seems from the outside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.