Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi.. I'm located in Massachusetts USA, and need an opinion from the worlds most knowleagable Goldwingers. I have a very nice, well maintained (kept in heated garage) 1986 Aspencade that just developed a noise condition. It sounds like a mild knock / piston slap only when the engine is cold. It is NOT noisey when in neutral, idling or revving, only when in gear (any gear) and riding. Once the engine warms up to full temperature, the noise is completely gone. No engine skipping or miss-fires. The noise increases with engine rpm and gets louder when riding until warm up. Bike has 25,000 miles on it and still looks like new. Oil & filter changed every 1500 miles. A tech told me it is the alternator drive shaft and he has the same problem with his 84 Aspy, but before I pull the engine (this winter) I want to be sure of exactly what may be the problem. Any help / suggestions / advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.. Renegade..

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Your mechanic friend has an advantage over us-he can actually hear the noise and we can't. If you are sure that the noise is not coming from the cylinder heads (hydraulic lifters can get intermitently noisy on the 1200) and is near the back of the engine then the main possibilites are in the gearbox mainshaft, alternator drive or clutch diaphragm. Unlikely to be engine bearings as they would be noisy when the engine is in neutral.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Jason... Good point about the noise location.. I really can't tell.. It's difficult to hang my head that low and still control the bike.. I'll try to listen for a location of the noise next time I ride..(when the rain lets up). We must wear a helmet here too, so I'll have to wait till dark when the PD won't see me..

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Do you need to ride the bike to hear the noise? Why not jack the bike up and run it through the gears that way?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Never thought of putting the bike on the center stand and running thru the gears. I'll do it tonight when I get home from work. Great idea! I'll get right back to you.. Thanks..

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

We haven't heard back from you. I hope that doesn't mean the bike came off the center stand while revving at 5k rpms in 2nd gear and put you thru' the back wall of your garage.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Sorry for the delay in responding.. I took a little time off to bike it to the Viet Nam memorial in Washington DC. (First time for this Nam Vet). I will put my Aspy up on the center stand and run it thru the gears this weekend. Life's been too busy lately even for an old dog like me... Thanks.. Renegade...

All Gave Some,, Some Gave All

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Another way to narrow down where the sound is coming from is to get yourself a mechanics stethoscope. Either borrow one or buy one, they are cheap here in Toronto. And hold it on the part you think may be causing the problem. Hope it helps

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

A mechanics scope needs a bit of skill to use. Many people putting the scope to an engine for the first time don't know how to pick out the relevent noise from all the racket that they can hear. Money wasted unless you know what you are doing.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks Skooter.. I have some background with the stethescope from my days as an auto mechanic. You're right though, it does sound like a racket inside the block if you're new to it. I no longer have my scope, but can borrow one. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.