Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am needing to buy a new exhaust system for my 1984, 1200 Aspencade, as the original has finally met its maker. I was wanting to know if the Motad 4 into 2, or the original Honda systems were my only options, are there any other makes, or systems that I could buy. Are they always 4 into 2, is there a system that will give any sort of power increase, without too much noise.

hope to hear from you all soon,

RoyL

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

As you may have read on previous postings on this topic, I have Jardine slip-on mufflers on my 1984 GL1200A. Too LOUD! The only other make I've found, at least in North America, is a system made by MAC. I looked at asystem at www.chromecity.safeshopper.com in Calgary, Alberta and was advised they are almost as quiet as the stock system and cost about $300 Cdn less than the factory jobs. MAC also included the headers as well for the price. As much as I'd like to keep my bike looking as stock as possible, the factory prices are just too steep. Will most likely end up with the MAC system over the winter if Santa's listening.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

keener wrote:
As you may have read on previous postings on this topic, I have Jardine slip-on mufflers on my 1984 GL1200A. Too LOUD!
Hmm. How loud is too loud? I'm actually thinking about "oooomphing" up my 'Wing a little with a little rumble.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The Jardines do look really nice, the slash cut ends make the 1200 look more aggressive to my eyes.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

RoyL: what did you end up doing, if anything, about the exhaust on your '84 Aspencade? I'm still looking to replace mine (Jardine slip-ons) and have only managed to come up with aMAC system, including headers, for about $370 US / $450 Cdn. A stock system, complete, through the local Honda dealer is going to run better than $1,600 Cdn! A Laser-Jama system out of the US will run$550- $950 US for the mufflers only! If you have found any practical alternatives, please let me know.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Here's what I did when my 84 Wing's exhaust rusted out:

http://groups.msn.com/BackYardBuiltGoldwingsBarGrill/vicsmachines.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=582

Welded up the crossover pipe so it didn't leak then painted it with high temp paint, then I cut off the rotted silencers and slid on 4" polished stainless pipe (from the scrap yard) over the remaining good part of the muffler. The sound is terrific (I like it loud and sporty sounding), but, if I wanted to I could weld a silencer to the inside section of the muffler and nobody would see it.

Total cost: $40. cdn and 4 hours of TLC on my Wing.

Vic

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

[align=left]Vic: If I had your abilities, I'd do my own system. However, I'm not that skilled and I'm at the age where quiet is nice. The Jardines are just too noisy for comfortable cruisin'. I'm not in a rush as we have about six months of non-riding right now due to winter settling in. I'm sure I'll find something that meets my needs during that time and hope others on this site will offer practical alternatives.[/align]

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Hello Keener, I have an '84 GL1200 with the left side exhaust rusting out about 3" past the muffler, and like others I like my bike too much to go gaudy so I went to my local muffler shop for some profession assistance. I cut both exhaust pipes 3" behind the rear muffler weld. The shop then used a aluminized reducer---nobody had stainless---and a set of 2" X 19" chrome auto tips to rework the system. The result is a nice mellow wail with an impressive rear appearence all for about $75.00 including labor. I'll post a pic if you want a good look.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

MoLeggs: A picture would be great.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Thats a nice clean setup Vic. I'm also looking forward to seeing the picture from Moleggs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.