Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have seen many nice examples of stripped and customizedGL1200 Goldwings on the net. I have always wanted to pick one of these up and spend some time working on it as a project bike.

My question is... is is possible to strip down an Aspencade? Ignoring the stuff like the dash/gauges, headlight, seat and all the real obvious stuff that will have to be replaced, is it possible.

There are two main reasons I am asking about the Aspencade, rather than just picking up a Standard unfaired model.

1) I actually want the digital dash - or at least the guts/computer from it - I plan on customizing that too. (can a Digital dash be put on a Standard? Are all the necessary guts still on the Standard or Interstate?)
2) There are not a lot of unfaired models available in my area, but there are frequently good priced Aspencades around.

Basically, I just want to know... is an Aspencade without the fairing just a Standard, or is there stuff under there I should worry about?

There are probably a lot of readers out there cringing at the idea of tearing apart a goldwing... but I think there would be a lot of you that share my opinion that the goldwing is a beautiful bike underneath as well - just look at the Valkyrie!

Thanks

Cory

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum ...I am sure you will get all the info that you want from this board ,,A goldwing is a Goldwing no matter what year or model ,and it is nice to see you taking on a project like this ..good luck in your quest and once again welcome to the board Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Lots of converted 1200s about, usually crashed Aspencades that had the fairing removed. All the radio bits are in the fairing so just unplug it and there will be no problems. You will need turn signals and a rear fender for starters but there are nio pitfalls in the way of this.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Yes I've seen lots of 1200s and 1100s that had the fairings removed. Don't forget to remove the big counterweight thing from the front of the bike as well, you only need that when the fairing is ON the bike.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for your help everyone...

I heard something about an air pump for the suspension, and that it may be exposed if all the fairing is removed - isn't itunder/in/covered bythe dummy tank?

I am planning on picking up an Owners manual and Service manual (there are always some on ebay from reputable sellers) so I can read up on what I am getting myself into.

I am sure I will be asking some more questions in the future, so my thanks in advance :)

Cory

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

You will probably want t replace the stock dummy tank with one from a standard model, otherwise the stock tank will look silly. You can relocate the pump easily enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.