Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

the shock on the right is what was on my 84, the shock on the left, ive just took off my 86, i can strip the right one no problem, the one on the left i'm stuck, i'm not sure what the big black ring is, is it a dust cover and i can just pry it out, ive done a few shocks and this is the first one ive come accross that has the big black ring, any ideas as to what it is, i dont want to just pry it out incase i break it, and its needed for the rebuild, ive got new seals, boots, and progressive springs to go back, i'm just curious aswell as toowhy they changed the design.

cheers ed

that big black thing look like the actual seal, nowto get the dam clip out.

UPDATE: got the clip out,the black thing is a metal spacer, i popped the seal with my air-line, when it popped out dropped another spring clip the same size as the first one i took out, going to swap the spring tomorrow for progressive, when done that, the reverse proceedure, when does the c-clip go back ( not the clip that holds the seal in

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

bump

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's been several years since I had a 1200 shock apart but I believe there's a thin bent wire snap ring that goes under the seal and a back up ring or some such to backstop the seal. The heavier stamped ring goes on the outside. If you go to Honda Direct Line and look at their parts fische you'll see the exploded view.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

The shock on the left has a little thin circle ring.It keeps the whole assembly together. Push up on that black anodized aluminum washer, (I used a peace of pvc drain pie and a bar clamp) and pick the circle clip out sfter the pressure is released, and everything will slide right out. Use air pressure to blow the seal out.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

ive got it sussed now, upon assembly you put the c-clip in first, this acts as a stop, then you put the other pieces, then finaly the last c-clip, i looked on the fische and could only find one clip, it it wise to coat the seal with a bit of o-ring grease for easy on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.