Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi folks, I want to utilize the front and rear speakers on my 87 GL1200 Interstate, but I do not want to install a dash mounted stereo, I would prefer just using my MP3 player.

Is there a solution to do this? Would I need a power amp?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
imported post

to get any kind of good sound you would need a amp. most mp3 players have a built in pa for the headphones, but I don't think that you would get enought power to drive both speakers.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Ok, so amps seem pretty cheap on E-bay... also... Some ebayers SUCK... lol

I was looking at a mounting bezel from goldwingchrome, and they are $27... a good price but I figured I would check E-bay, you know... to see if they had one cheaper. I found one and they guy took the picture and description off the other site and was offering them for $50!!

But, as others have mentioned in other threads a car stereo may not be water tight enough. A marine stereo would cost the same as a GL1200 replacement :(

(I tried to search this subject but could not find a good answer...)

So, now I know I need an Amp, some sort of connector plate to plug the MP3 player into, and speaker wires.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i have an interstate and run my ipod through a 100 watts ampliffier hidden inside the fairing, the connection for the ipod is in the grove box where i also keep my ipod safe of the rain and direct sun light.

basically, all you need to do is find a cheap small amp that will fit inside the fairing, wire the speakers, most amp inputs are RCA so buy a cable with RCA ends on one side and a headphone plug on the other.

·
Administrator
22,402 Posts
imported post

Rear speakers? The Interstate came with no speakers front or rear, but the fairing does have the opening if you bought the speaker covers.

Have you got some kind of radio installed now?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

The rear speakers are after thoughts for sure, although they look pretty good. There is no radio, but the original Honda front speaker covers and radio face plate are in place.

I like the amp, MP3 player idea.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I put a Pyle PL97M4 in my Interstate with just front speakers (Pyle Blue Line) and it didn't need an amp. Plenty of power. The radio had an Ipod port in the front, as well as a USB and an SD card slot.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PL97M4
http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?brand=&cat1=Car Audio&cat2=Coaxial Speakers&model=PL42BL

I thought about a marine unit, but couldn't find one without a CD drive. If you use a CD unit in the dash it will stick out 1.5" from the face of the dash.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks guys, I am going to do what I always do... go with the cheapest solution possible. I have the winter to figure it out. I have a solid month at least of good riding, but I will save this for a winter project. Unless something comes along.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.