Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PO told me this thing will attempt to throttle up when the throttle lock is engaged. A sort of crude early form of cruise control. He said he didn’t like it so he loosened it so it wouldn’t do that. I don’t see how this thing would do that. Any thoughts?

86 GL1200 aspy

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
PO told me this thing will attempt to throttle up when the throttle lock is engaged. A sort of crude early form of cruise control. He said he didn’t like it so he loosened it so it wouldn’t do that. I don’t see how this thing would do that. Any thoughts?

86 GL1200 aspy
VistaCruise.

I had one on my '85 1200, and I have one on my '97 1500. I almost never use the OEM cruise control on the trike (it has one, it works too), but I do use the VistaCruise. Easy to release, just a flip of the thumb. If he thought his throttled up on it's own, he did it himself, not the VistaCruise. You set it just tight enough to barely hold the throttle stationary which allows easy adjustment of throttle by wrist action yet you aren't trying to hold the throttle against return spring pressure. My Norton and Triumphs had "grubbing screws" that had a big head, you tightened it by fingers just enough to hold the throttle, so I got used to the deal in the '70s .

I also use a adjustable rubber strap like "Palm Rest" by Kurykyn (spl?), been on the trike since 2004, had one on the 1200 too, have a new spare in a box being that it's rubber, but never an issue. Just rest the palm on it and relax.

VistaCruise  and Kuryakyn palm rest 640.jpg

·
Administrator
25,584 Posts
No way that can cause it to throttle up but with any downgrade it is going to speed up and slow down on an upgrade.

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
No way that can cause it to throttle up but with any downgrade it is going to speed up and slow down on an upgrade.
Oh yeah ... it just decreases fatigue … eliminates it in my wrist for me actually … but you still make adjustments, you still have to exercise control.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is a throttle lock. when properly installed it will lock the throttle in set a position. It cannot twist the throttle up, it can slip and allow the throttle to drop. It can maintain speed on flat surfaces but loses speed uphills and gain speed downhills. That's just the way they work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, all. I'm familiar with your basic throttle locks, this one just looks factory or integrated to the kill switch box next to it so that's why I thought it might be fancier than a standard throttle lock.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
It's been exposed to weathering might near as long as the switch housing beside it, but it's definitely VistaCruise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts