Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the addition of my 60W driving lights on my GL1200, my stator output will not sustain a long time with the lights on, and I haven't even hooked up my electronic heated riding gear. But, the stator is functioning fine, and I don't want to disable it. So, has anyone added a Poor Boy conversion just to run extra lights, heated riding gear, etc? I presume an additional battery would be needed, but that is easy to do. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I think i like the way you think... anything worth doing is worth over doing. I'm interested to see if this pans out. I would think a spare battery in the side bag and you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Going through the addition of the external alternator why would you bother even using the OEM alternator and then loose the valuable space to put a superfluous battery.
Once you have the external installed just disconnect the regulator, it will be ready for you to reconnect on the road if needed.

You could change the wattage of you driving lamps to 35 watt you will squeak through with the OEM

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
+1 Tricky. If you're going to go to the trouble of installing a poorboy alternator setup, you no longer have a need for the stock stator.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Take it from someone who knows. I was in Florida when my stator went. After scrambling for a week for tools and a poorboy, I got back on the road. I changed my other 1200 as soon as I got home. I certainly didn't t want that stator to go like the other, far from home! It will go! Better on your terms, then it s terms!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.