Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All

Just about to replace the timing belts on my GL1200A as it has done 78,000 miles and I don't know it's servide history. I have two Gates T070 as per suggestions from the Forum, worked out one third the price of OEM version. I believe I could have brought them on the internet plus shipping from USA cheaper.

When doing the belt change it has been suggested to replace the tensioners. What equivalents are available for them. I presume you require two.

Are there any other items that should be replaced when doin the timing belts? Do you know the equivalents for these parts as well?

Keep on riding

brucecq

New Zealand

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I just barely did mine, you got the right belts. The only equivilant tensioners are the factory units, but I did a post on this before replacing mine and there's a pretty good set of instructions on how to restore what you have. All there is in that system is belts and tensioners, so replace those and you should be good.

Here's the link to that post, what you're looking for is near the bottom.

http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/119889.html

EDIT: Ok, I had to look, it's about half way down, it's the post from sandiegobrass.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

You don't need to change the tensioners unless the bearings are chatty or they don't track true or smooth. They typically last a good long time.

You can a also rebuild them.

FYI, all Goldwings use the same tensioner as I understand it.
Don't be afraid of getting used ones. They really don't have a definitive life span.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Hi brucecq, got a pair of gates belts for my 1200 and 1500 also, no tensioners required, certainly at your mileage, in case you didn't know, we have a local supplier in TeAroha, Econohonda. Malcolm and Hamish have a good supply of most things Honda at reasonable cost, possibly worthwhile downloading their parts list for future reference. There is a sizeable amount of parts they haven't got tho (but will get for you), and I usually go directly to US suppliers via eBay for my 1200 and 1500 parts.
Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

I agree,with that mileage you shouldn't have to worrry about the tensioners, just check them out that they run smooth and little slop in the bearing.

JIM

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Replacing the belts is very inexpensive, but the tensioners are ridiculously expensive. They should not be a maintenance part. I did not replace mine at 93,000 miles, when I did the belts. They seemed ok.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I gotta tell ya, mine had 115,000 miles, I wasn't going to replace them, but the responding to my post talked me into it, and I'm pretty glad too. One of them totally fine, at least as good as the used set I replaced 'em with, but one of 'em had almost a 1/16" of play :shock:. Better to be safe and prepair for it that to get it apart and find out you just been caught with your pants down. But, used is deffinatly a viable option, at $80 a piece new, it's really the only viable option in my opinion (other than the rebuild procedure mentioned earlier).

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

A KIWI!!! Spent a week in Rotarua in 1970 attended the Cup Race there. I was in Viet nam and went down to Palmerston North to instruct some NZ troops on Infantry tactics on the Huey. Traveled all over The North Island by hitch hiking. One of the NCO's had a Vincent he let me ride. Almost got killed a few times till I figured out which lane to stay in. hahahahaha. Wonderful area. I particularly like the Steaks for every meal deal back then. developed an affinity for Stewed Tomatoes. It was one of the best 30 days I have ever spent. ate a ton of those Paua(sp) and partied in Auckland and Welllington..fell in love in Featherston Then realized I was to young to die.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I'm sure you would notice a few differences to Rotorua since 1970. Glad you enjoyed your time here and thanks for helping our troops.

Blessings

brucecq

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

I changed mineat 200,000 miles. The new ones were exactly the same as the old, so I think I just threw the money away.

They are bearings, so they should make noise if theygo bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.