Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,

I did some shopping today at the NAPA store looking for timing belts for the1983 Toyota Tercel 4 cylinder. Thentold the counterman what i wantedthemfor helooked up '86' Honda 1200A and his book shows the same number for both. Price In Indiana isaround$15each no shipping. will do mine when the riding time stops.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Yep, and they're made by Gates. I've used them on several 1200s. :) NAPA number is 250070. I didn't realize that they had the GL1200A in the book though.

John

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
imported post

I think that's the same price I paid for them at AutoZone.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Yep me too and got them at Discount Auto. Sure is better what the local dealer wanted for them.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

That belt fits a bunch of cars
My V6 4Runner and Cressida DOHC straight 6 use the same belts

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
imported post

How hard is it to replace the timing belts on a GL1200
I was thinking I should consider changing mine soon
I bought my bike used and have no idea if they have ever been replaced

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

AJ1200 wrote:
How hard is it to replace the timing belts on a GL1200
I was thinking I should consider changing mine soon
I bought my bike used and have no idea if they have ever been replaced
Welcome to the World's best GoldWing forum.

If you have a few basic tools and some mechanical ability, it's not difficult. Probably take you 2-3 hours the first time. If you don't have a repair manual, you should get one, or you can download it from the forum reference area.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/

You will find lots of posts on it in the tech forum too.

John

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
imported post

Thanks John
mechanical ability isn't going to be a prob, I do intend on picking up a manual soon.
I have a couple other little issues I have to address then I think I will do the belts,
Thanks for the link, I'll prob go check that out just to get a good feel for the job

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

AJ1200 wrote:
Thanks John
mechanical ability isn't going to be a prob, I do intend on picking up a manual soon.
I have a couple other little issues I have to address then I think I will do the belts,
Thanks for the link, I'll prob go check that out just to get a good feel for the job
You're quite welcome. :)

John

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

AJ1200, it's not difficult at all. The Actual changing of the belts takes very little time. It's getting that girl undressed and then put everything back on that takes the time.

When I did mine, I pulled the radiator completely off to make it easier. So there's the chance to change the antifreeze and if you want the thermostat too.

Biggest thing is getting the marks lined up and turning the engine over by hand before you put all the covers and radiator back on.

If you get it out of time, the valves will hit the piston and that is the end of riding for a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.