Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am trying to bleed the clutch but no fluid going anywhere. I pulled the cover off as instructed in the video (in the bikers workshop) and then disconnected the union bolt entirely. In the video when the lever is pressed and I place my finger over the hole and pull the clutch again i get minimal fluid coming out, and the reservoir fluid level doesn't decrease.

I must be doing something wrong, or have forgotten a step or something?

Oh and the slave cylinder bleed valve should be closed during this entire process? (it was just rebuilt, and no fluid other than what was used on the gaskets).

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

The slave cylinder nipple has to be closed while you bleed the banjo bolt.
Finger tight over the hole and squeeze the lever. As you feel the pressure on your finger just barely release it enough for the air and fluid to get out, and get your finger tight over the hole again before the lever hits bottom. Do that about twice. Then do one quick bleed at the slave cylinder.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

if you have a bunch of air in the system. it will take a few slow pumps of the lever to draw and fill the lines. than bleed the slave cylinder.watch the reservoir level too. you`ll see it go down as you get rid of the air.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I think its doing what it is supposed to. Now when I bleed the slave cylinder, just loosen the valve, pull the clutch, but nothing comes out, but possibly just air? Then tighten it up again, rinse and repeat until something finally comes out of the slave cylinder bleed valve? Is it possible that I'll have to do this a dozen times maybe?

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Bleed the slave cyl first. Loosen valve, pull lever, tighten valve. Repeat as necessary. If still spongy, then try the banjo bolt bleed.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

Metal99 wrote:
I think its doing what it is supposed to. Now when I bleed the slave cylinder, just loosen the valve, pull the clutch, but nothing comes out, but possibly just air? Then tighten it up again, rinse and repeat until something finally comes out of the slave cylinder bleed valve? Is it possible that I'll have to do this a dozen times maybe?
yep -- sure is. just do it slow on the pumping. let the fluid time to fill the master again.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ok I just cant seem to get any fluid into the line. I have tried the steps that milliesdad suggested about 3-4 dozen times. It doesn't seem like the line is going anywhere.

I purchased an $9 fluid pump and tried to connect it to the bleed valve, pull the clutch, and pump fluid up the line, but i don't think that is doing anything either. When i pull the clutch lever i do get small air bubbles coming out of the pin size hole. I'm probably going to pull apart the master cylinder because i don't know what else to do.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

If you tried bleeding the slave cylinder several times and can't get the fluid flowing, you have to do the banjo bolt bleed. I am guessing you aren't doing that correctly, perhaps you are letting air back into the master cylinder. Done properly at the banjo bolt, you will have a stiff lever, and then you can bleed the slave cylinder.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,580 Posts
imported post

If you are using a vacuum bleeder, you don't need to pull on the bike's clutch lever. Just put the hose on the bleeder nipple, losen it, and pump the pump. Watch the fluidlevel in the master cylinder. It goes down fast.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

I bleed my clutch just last weekend and noticed that if the bleeder valve is not open at least half a turn, all you'll do is waste time, energy and effort.

After attaching a syringe to my bleeder hose,and opening the the port 1/2 turn I was able to bleed my clutch with no problems.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

Metal99 wrote:
Ok I just cant seem to get any fluid into the line. I have tried the steps that milliesdad suggested about 3-4 dozen times. It doesn't seem like the line is going anywhere.
Have you got it bled yet, or are you still having problems?

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

gaswing wrote:
Metal99 wrote:
Have you got it bled yet, or are you still having problems?
I haven't had time to work on it yet, Friday(9/16) and Saturday(9/17) i'll work on it until it works properly.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I think i did it. So when i pull the clutch lever in, is the initial pull when it is supposed to be the tightest, or if its just barely past the initial pull, like 3/4 of the way?

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

EUREKA?! I just put it all back together, and drove around for about 25 minutes, and about 15 miles up and down hill. I was able to get up to ~65 with ease, no slipping of the clutch.

The only thing i need to re-tune is the clutch lever still feels squishy, but I am able to shift with no problems. The main thing that helped was giving the bleed valve 1/2 turn. I wasn't opening it enough so the fluid would leave the reservoir and travel down the line.

My only concern now is that it isn't hot enough outside to duplicate the temperature conditions when it wasn't working right.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

yep----it takes at least 1/2 turn to open them up. glad to see you have a clutch again. maybe later you can bleed it again too make sure you got all the air out of the system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.