Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

greetings all,

i have a 1986 honda glodwing aspencade gl 1200 it keeps blowing the starter fuse every time i start the bike. i am wondering if this could be a solenoid problem it just started this fuse blowing situation after i replaced the battery on the bike all wires were marked as for replacement of battery so i know i don't have any wrong wires any where. the solenoid has never been replaced as far as i know i am the second owner of the bike and the original owner has never mentioned changing anything on the bike. it has 43,000 miles and runs excellent when it does not blow fuse. any help would be greatful.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum broussard

Can you take a picture of the battery and the wires so we can see it?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

Also welcome to the forum broussard! As an '86 Aspy owner I too would like to see some pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum forum from the mid md/pa area
strange that you would blow fuses after a battery replacement since the main current for the starter does not go thru that fuse,sounds more like a bad wire connection someplace,you might have to post us a picture since most people have replaced the dogbone with a 30 amp ato fuseholder and fuse,we are talking about blowing the "dogbone" right

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

not the dogbone fuse but the starter fuse that is under the glove box storage compartment.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

pm me your email address and i'll send you some files from the 86 etm

several circuits run off of that #4 fuse,you are talking about the fuse on far right of fusebox right?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

I am thinking if you had to label any wires for a battery replacement that is a problem in itself. Are you saying there are additional add on wires under the battery terminals. You may want to post a pic of the battery well lit.Should pretty much be 1 positive plus 1 negative. Something else that comes to mind is the possibilty of a wire pinched between the battery and frame or something.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

sorry so late i worked late last night and i am just getting around to opening my e-mails.

thanks,

broussard

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

1 positive-1 negative and a positive for additional fog light toggle switch. some goldwings have the lights built in with the fairings but not this year and model.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

The connectors at the starter solenoids have been known to give trouble. Have a look and look for signs of a meltdown. Next I would start by disconnecting the black 4 wire connector at the starter solenoid. Try and attempt another start with connector removed. The starter will not activate since the solenoid is not connected. If the fuse still blows then you have a short between the start switch and the solenoid on the yellow/red wire. If fuse remains intact you can measure the solenoid's coil resistance where the yellow red and green/red wires connect but on the solenoid side with connector still unplugged. Similarly you can check for continuity between the pin where the yellow/red wire attaches again at the solenoid not it's connector and chassis ground.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

i can't disconnect just a single wire off of the solenoid since they are all in one square connector 4wire square that plugs into the solenoid. i have checked the spare fuse that is attached to the solenoid and it looks good. wandering if the switch on the handle bar may be going out when i engage the starter it turns over then the bike will start then die and the fuse is blown.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

I wasn't suggesting disconnecting a single wire. Just making the distinction that only 2 wires in that connector are for the activating coil of that start relay. The smaller yellow/red and green/red wires. Yellow/red is the incoming hot from the start switch to power one end of the coil. Green/red is the ground side of the coil.
Your problem may lie in the fuel pump circuit which is also powered from that same #4 fuse. I wanted you to attempt a start with the solenoid connector removed first to start the process of elimination.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

broussard
Not good to put your email out like that for spammers to see. Edit it out. Next time use the PM button.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Double that!

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

+1 in wingsam41 post #10

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status