Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
87 1200i
Have Blown Head Gasket. Billows of white smoke. Need help. Fair to middling shade tree mechanic. Need step-by-step instructions on replacing head gaskets.
Is there a detailed 'How-To' available? What else should I replace. Any help appreciated.

ErnieB

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,394 Posts
I don't know of any step by step. The Honda manual spends fewer words on the subject than tuning the radio.
Basically,
Remove the radiator.
Remove the belt cover.
Remove the guards.
" " valve cover.
" " exhaust.
Undo and suspend the intake tubes.
Remove the associated belt.
Remove the head bolts.
Remove the head.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I might be looking at the same problem, one thing I'm not clear about tho after reading that article is whether I need to pull the rocker arm assembly off. If all I want to do is replace the head gaskets do I need to take it apart that far?

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just did a compression test. Normal is 160 on all 4 cylinders. This test was: 1=120; 2=160; 3=120; 4=160. Does this mean that only the right side blew out?

Thanks for the replys,
ErnieB

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Probably... but which side has the most smoke? the crossover (if the 1200 has one like the 1100) will permit some exchange between both sides, but it should be much more prominent on theoffending side...

·
Registered
45 Posts
That looks like a nice manual, where do you get one of those? Also, I've been sourcing a gasket set and found this, http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/gl1100/?filters[category]=engine , about halfway down the page there's an engine gasket set. Has anyone used this kit? I've sent them an email asking what it includes as I really can't tell from the picture and there's no description to speak of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.