Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tired to solve my brake lights from running down the volts. Seems like there is a short some where in the brake light system. But I cant find it?
When ever the brake lights come on the head light dims and the motor looses a little rpm. Doesn't matter if the bike is running at 14.5 volts or 13 volts some result. The brake lights come on and they are drawing to much power?
Any suggestions :)

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
It is a matter of where it is drawing power from. You have a weakness in the system somewhere that is causing it to not get enough power to run everything at once. Start at the battery connections then the main fuse and connections on the starter solenoid.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
It was my understanding that installing a poorboy was suppose to eliminate all your charging system problems.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay poorboy aside ;)
Btw I wasn't one who said it was a cure all.
I cant see it being just a voltage draw issue from the tail lights over powering the charging system. Because nothing else causes the same issue. I can have the high beam, turn signals, radio and fan on all at once and I see a very little voltage draw. But if I just put the tail lights on with everything else off. I get a large voltage drop?
Doesn't seem like the stop lights would be that much more of a draw then the high beam turn signals, radio and fan together.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
That dimming is normal. Mine and four other 12s, all pretty new, did the same, whether stock orrunning extra lights.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found some loose connectors, now volts are higher at idle and headlight still dims slightly when brake lights come on but a lot less then they did before.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Found some loose connectors, now volts are higher at idle and headlight still dims slightly when brake lights come on but a lot less then they did before.

Now that part is normal…

My 1100 Aspencade and my 1500 Aspencade both do the same thing. A little dimming is normal. RPMs are down and believe it or not the 1156 and 1157 draw quite a bit of power – to the tune of 27 watts each when fully lit. That coupled with some poor connections on your bike would have made it worse.

It might be the time now that you should go over your bike and clean some of the connections on your bike. It makes a world of difference.

This link might help you out if you have never cleaned connectors before.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...329591-good-clean-electrical-connections.html

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
incandescent lights are more prone to dim than if you were using led's,but along the way you probably have some bad connectors and grounds in the system which will cause a larger drop in voltage,got to remember too that when u are braking you are lowering the rpm's too which means a lower charging voltage

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.