Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Gentlemen,

I'm considering buying a 1985 GL1200A, and it has a broken starter chain. Thought it may be wise to find outwhat I'm up against with that. How muchtrouble it that to replace, I assume the engine has to come out, but beyond that is it more trouble than it's worth...

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

It an engine out task. Are you sure the chain is broken and not the gears inside the gear case on the end of the starter motor? They are known to break, where the starter chain breaking is much more rare.
Here is the link to a new tutorial they made for remving the engine, http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1200engineremoval.htm

and here is a picture of the starter chain,

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Has anyone stuck a finger into the starter hole and confirmed a broken chain?
The starter can fail and the starter clutch rollers can get stuck and keep the starter from spinning the motor, but I've never heard anyone discuss a broken starter chain.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,596 Posts
imported post

Even if the chain is broken, it's not too bad a job, and it will give you a chance to look at the stator to see if it would be a good idea to change that as well.
So, if the bike is in otherwise good condition, I say, go for it.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the info, I do not know if the current owner is actually taken the starter off to look, or if he is just surmising..I will find out. Thanks all,

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

I would be a little iffy on buying it myself.

Depends on how much for the bike and how long it's been sitting that way.

On top of thathave you hear the motor run?? There may be more than one problem your not able to check out.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

my starter clutch went out on my 1982 1100 aspencade its not to bad of a job!!!just put engine back in..now my problem i didnt hang the carbs befor i mounted the engine..what do i have to do to get carbs back in??

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

They go in from the left side with intake tubes off.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

found a honda manual it said to remove no.1 and no.3 carb vacumm chamber covers.the no 3 cover is hitting frame and no.1 carb bowl is hitting the water tube????

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Better to carry this back over to your own thread Al, no point hijacking this one. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.