Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

This weekend I'm going to attempt to build a reciever hitch for my 85 GL1200. There's a hitch for sale at wingstuff, but I plan on hardly ever using the hitch, so I want a reciever type, so that I can remove it. (somewhat like the 1500-1800 options out there right now). There seems to be nothing out currently for sale, so I'm going to build one myself. there was a guy selling them on Ebay in 06, but he only made 10 and they're long gone. Yes, I've been welding and building stuff for 20 years now, and I'm a part-time fabricator; don't worry, it will be stout.

I'd love to see some pictures of old designs for receiver hitches on 1200's. I acutally saw one on a 1200 a month ago in a pizza parking lot, but I didn't have time to stop and check it out.

Oh, and one more thing...if you're interested...I'm also building a single rail trailer for it so I can tow my supermoto bike to regional races. ye-ha. a motorcycle towing a motorcycle. kind of like the trailerinabag.com idea. I know I'm not the first one to think of the idea, but I've wanted to do it ever since I picked up this bike. there's a new supermoto track in Seattle that's about 3hrs. away, so I want to ride the GW up spin the track for an afternoon, and ride back. It will probably make more sense financially when gas goes back to $5/g. but for now it will be just fun.

cheers!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,268 Posts
imported post

Hey Dude!

Is your washer fix still working?

I was just up there. I spent a night in Portland to change my oil. (at the worst motel on the planet)

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Tricky,
Not only is that link helpful, it's exactly what I need.
I've been searching for 2 weeks now, and all I had to do is post up. Thank you so much. Pictures, dimensions, specifications...amazing. Many thanks. I surely will post updates to this build.

Dennis,
Bike is running great. the stumble only happens when it's cold, otherwise it's like a tractor.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

got her mocked up, I'm going to rattle can it now.
Next is the single rail trailer for the supermoto. eh, he, he. (evil laugh)

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
imported post

outofcontrol wrote:
got her mocked up, I'm going to rattle can it now.
Next is the single rail trailer for the supermoto. eh, he, he. (evil laugh)

nice work on the hitch , on the third pic down what is the i beam looking peice i see there , above the hitch ,

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

yes, that's the plastic tab for the OEM mud flap. Since I'm only going to use this hitch 5% of the time I ride, I wanted it to "disappear" when not in use. The last pic is with the OEM mud flap in place.
-Kevin

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,268 Posts
imported post

Clean install, Kevin.

Very nice. BTW, where'd you get that tire? They haven't made those since Clinton was president.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

I was wondering if anyone would notice that. It's old, but in great shape. If I was heading out on a tour, I'd probably replace both front and back... but this bike was sitting in a garage for 13 years when I bought it. Grip is fine, plenty of rubber, no cracking, must be the extra moist Pacific NW air.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Tonight I emptied out my enclosed trailer to lend it to a friend and I had to pull it out so that he could get to it easily. I was going to use my truck as usual, but I decided to use the goldwing and take the 6x12 around the block for some comedy. I didn't go more than about 4mph, and towing a 1500lb trailer is kind of a joke, but I thought it was funny. My wife didn't think it was as funny as I did. hehehe :D

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
imported post

that should have made the front alittle lite , how did the wing like that much load on her

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Nice looking hitch, btw you did eventually tighten the lower bolt :) ?

Does the bolt go through the tubing where it is fastened at the foot rest?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

tricky wrote:
Nice looking hitch, btw  you did eventually tighten the lower bolt :) ?

Does the bolt go through the tubing where it is fastened at the foot rest?
Yes. I had the unit off and on about 10x during construction, and most of the time I'd just throw that bolt in the hole. That picture was before I even painted it.
That bolt connects to the forward arm (1x1) of the hitch, but There's a .125" tab on the end for the bolt.

Yes, the front end was light with 200lbs of tongue weight. And, if you're curious, I had no worries about the strength of the hitch; I was more worried about the strength of the 6x12 trailer against me and the bike. I had to go up a little transition from gravel to pavement, and it almost threw me off.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
imported post

was there a gathering watching u move the trailor , that would have been popcorn time , watching ya move the trailor , lol , glad ya made it safe and sound

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

Nobody really cares about my antics. My neighbors are 70 and 90yr olds. They just think that I make a lot of noise.

Here's the trailer so far:

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
imported post

looking good bro , that should get your dirt bike there and back

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.