Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I had my 83, I posted about my top speed being restricted to 85 mph. One of the responses had to do with washers welded in the exhaust pipes to cause a restriction. Now I have 1n 1987 GL1200I Californina Model and was wondering if they did the same thing to the 1200's in California. My 87 has 114,000 miles and is getting about 32-33 miles per gallon. Is this about right?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

your gas milage ought to be better... our 1200 with a sidecar gets around the same gas milage as your '87

being one of those guys who gets good gas milage. I like to compare riding to dancing.... it is all in finese.... I simply choose not to drive full on and full off (I also do not wear out brake pads)... the joy is in the journey...

and, my harely has left a few wings in the dust

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

My 86 GL1200 SEI averages 40 MPG regularily. I use the middle grade. Perhaps the fuel injected models get a little better than the carburated models. I had an 86 GL1200 Aspencade several years ago and got about 34 MPG, also used the middle grade gas. Peter

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

I think only the GL1100s from the 81 model year had the washers in the exhaust. The 1200 had no restrictions as such, just loads of extra vacuum hoses.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I usually get 35 mpg... when it's raining I get over 40 mpg. Proves the point that rcmatt007 made about finesse. I'm a much more conservative rider in the rain, hence the better gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Retro48 wrote:
When I had my 83, I posted about my top speed being restricted to 85 mph. One of the responses had to do with washers welded in the exhaust pipes to cause a restriction. Now I have 1n 1987 GL1200I California Model and was wondering if they did the same thing to the 1200's in California. My 87 has 114,000 miles and is getting about 32-33 miles per gallon. Is this about right?
Retro48, as mentioned above, riding style (or lack there of) plays a big part in fuel economy. Velocity (speed) also can have a big input on fuel mileage. My 86 1200 will average out at around 39-42 MPG at a steady 55-60 MPH with few cold starts & very little stop & go. I go down to about 31 or so MPG at 90 MPH (my bike has a very high windshield though). When operated in the 95+ MPH range I haven't ever figured mileage but usually get under 100 miles per tank full.

In stop & go commuter riding during my daily run it runs closer to 32-33 MPG but there are some hills & sharp curves in that figuring.

I have worked with the carbs to get the bike to run good & not surge or stumble so that effected my mileage big time as I richened the pilot needles up. I am still tweaking the pilot system slightly but by leaning the pilot circuits slightly I can show a significant gain in light usage MPG.

I have a friend with an identical 86 Wing to mine (carbureted) & he has owned it since new. He claims that he has never got over 37 MPG & usually gets in the 34-36 MPG range. He is also a conservative rider (unlike me).

You ask..
Now I have 1n 1987 GL1200I California Model and was wondering if they did the same thing to the 1200's in California
Yes, due to the California emission controls the carbs were set differently & I believe that bike had a different crankcase ventilation set-up. Not sure how (or if) that effected MPG but it sure did on cars & trucks of that era.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

hoping NOT to open the tyre pressure can of worms again..... tire presure does effect fuel economy as well. the best milage I ever got on my harley was the day I rode it home from the dealer... the first 50 miles (the trip home) has at 50 mph or less.... never have topped that milage LOL... and as all of mentioned acceleration and deceleration are the biggest variables that people have control over... unless of course you add in timing, fuel mixture, spark plugs, etc etc etc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.