Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says i have fitted an alternator to my gl1200 this coming winter i will be taking the engine out of the bike for maintenance work .
Can i remove and leave out the stator ?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Yes you can. And it would be advisable to do so, as to get ride of the blacked tar on the stator wires that might loosen and migrate where you don't want it, IE; in an oil orifice port. Don't want to have an aneurism.

Be sure and plug the hole where the wires come out the back cover.

·
Senior Guru
4,298 Posts
. When I did my ext. alt. on my LTD, I not only removed the stator, but I drilled the rivets and removed the rotor. Amazing difference in the way it reved up, and much quieter at idle. Much less chain rattle and gear rattle. Just sounded better throughout the rev range. I never once regretted that move. You have to retain the hub the rotor is mounted to, for starter drive.:action:.

Oh, I got a soft plug from some auto store for the wire harness hole. Had to order it, as it's not a common size.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your repls guys
looks like i will be removing it :thumbsup:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Take pictures and post them for others later that see this and include part numbers ect.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I replaced the stator in my 1200 and after seeing the burnt charcoal mess it made in the inside of my motor I would never leave one in.It's good to see that there are a few people on this forum that are in agreement that a burnt stator has no place in motor oil.There are more than a few that think it's just fine ,wont hurt a thing,just pour seastuff in there it will fix anything.If the stator was easy to get to,I don't think any one would leave one in.It really isn't that bad of a job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.