Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

ok so i bought an 84 goldwing back in febuary been rideing since and just this last tuesday a layed it over the only damage the bike took was the left mirror is busted picked it up and it ran just fine around town then saturday i went to visit family 5 hours away and i got about half way and stopped at a gasstation to put a little fuel in and after that everytime i get to about 70 mph it feels like its bogging out it wont go any faster and its like its not getting any fuel but it stays at 70 any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Dropping it could have dislodged some rust/crud in the fuel tank and probably partially plugged your fuel filter. Give that a check first.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Change the plugs you will be fine. Check the air filter also.

When you lay a bike over the fuel in the carbfloat bowls free flow into the cyn's.

Pull the plugs I'm sure they are pretty black or partly fouled.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

would it be safe to ride a long distance with it like this because im nowere near home and iv got 200$ to my name at the moment

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

should not hurt it long as you take it easy.. If you feel anything else going wrong.. overheating, etc.. I would stop and check it out... I would try the new plugs to, they are cheap and you can get at most auto parts store.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

yeah well like on my way to were im at now it was doing ok and i got here to town and stopped and asked for directions climed off it for like 5 min but left it idleing when i came back and took off i got about a block and noticed my temp guage was in the red but was going down any idea why it would do that

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,467 Posts
imported post

The cooling fan might not be coming on like it should...

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

if thats not what it is any ideas what else might cause that ? im kinda paranoid because the trip home is a long haul from clovis newmexico to lincoln nebraska its like an 18 hour trip

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

If she's only getting hot while she's setting running and cools right off while at speed I think you'll be OK because as a rule the fan doesn't even come on at highway speeds...

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I found out that when ever I dropped my 79 stamdard the first yr I had it it would run crappy afterwards I assumed it was crap in the float bowl's getting stired up.
Not shure what kinda petcock is on your 1200 but on my 79 it has to be part way between open and closed to work . If it;s in the full open position it will cruse at 70 or whatever but bogs with any throttle openning. needs to be nursed up to speed.May be some junk trapped in the petcock
Wilf
Oh and I have quite dropping it!!!

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
wilf wrote:
I take it that its just a garage ornament now.:shock:
There are those that are going to drop one.. There are those that have dropped one.. There are those that are going to dropone again....:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
wilf wrote:
I take it that its just a garage ornament now.:shock:
Hell no Just got back from near 1000 mile adventure on her today. Running stronger than ever. Wings gotta run to be happy

Wilf

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

miki101 wrote:
if thats not what it is any ideas what else might cause that ? im kinda paranoid because the trip home is a long haul from clovis newmexico to lincoln nebraska its like an 18 hour trip
For the most part GWs don't like sitting idling, They tend to overheat then, but as you said it cooled back down once you got back on the road.

-Check the antifreeze levels as well as your oil level often, don't assume they are good.
-Pull the plugs and check for moisture on them.
-You also may have an air bubble that worked into the system that needs burping out.
Most of all, start praying.:praying:
May the LORD bless you and keep you running!

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Plugs can be removed and cleaned and put back, good as new. If it were a later model, I'd say it might be a CA model and have the CA evap crap on it, that charcoal canister thing. I have had a number of CA bikes and removed that thing from all of them. If you filled the tank more than 3/4 full, it would fill up the charcoal canister, and run rich for a long time. Hesitation, hard starting, etc.

My fan stayed on here in Phoenix pretty much all the time (115 degrees) I finally wired it direct with a switch, and let it run whenever the motor is running. May put it back the way it was for winter.

I have never dropped a bike, I will never drop a bike, and if I do, I promise to throw myself between the bike and the ground.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

Hey Miki. After you dropped it, did it start right up? Did you try to start it after you dropped it but it abruptly stopped turning over, even once? Have you noticed any smoke when starting up at all?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Predator wrote:
crappy fuel, don't worry about it. fill up somewhere else.... (put a little fuel in ?????) fill up.
Yep.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
I have never dropped a bike, I will never drop a bike, and if I do, I promise to throw myself between the bike and the ground.
A dropped Wing can be up and moving in minutes with minimal damage, you on the other hand could spend many non riding months recuperating if you insert yourself between the Wing and the ground.:shock:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,599 Posts
imported post

Stop at the closest auto parts, or Wal-Mart and get some fuel system cleaner. It may just be some crap, or water, in the gas. Also, take a look at the air filter. Make sure it didn't get dislodged from the fall.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.