Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I recently purchased a 1987 Aspencade. It had been sitting for 2 years. I knew it was going to have carb issues, so I got the complete carb re-build kits and replace everything, jets, float valves, needle valves, seals...

Got everything put back together and managed to get her started with a shot or two of starter fluid. But there still seems to be some fuel flow issues. I replaced the filter, checked to see the fuel pump was doing its job and it checks out fine.

It responds to the throttle, and I can get it to run pretty much indefinitely if I am messing with the throttle. However if I put the choke on, it shounds like it's sucking air and dies.

The choke plungers seemed stuck when I was rebuilding the carbs, and I got them to move freely again. But there was nothing else I could do for the choke.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Goldwing Newbie

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
If it were mine I would have re-used the original needle valves as the aftermarket ones have given many people trouble.

Have you done a carb. sync?
Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
What did you set the floats and air screws at?

Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cant sync the carbs, because it won't idle.
Haven't checked for vacuum leaks yet.

The only time i can get it to run and stay running is if I'm using the throttle to artifically get the engine to idle. There has to be something still clogged.

I didn't set the floats. I left them as they were. Perhaps that is the problem...

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,330 Posts
It's hard to figure these things without a little prying. Where did you get the "rebuild kits"?

Stick with the floats the way they are. If you put them back in the same carbs they came out of, they are probably still OK.

How many turns did you start with on the idle screws, and have you done an idle drop yet?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
If you mean set the float height (which controls the level of fuel in the float bowl) that is not likely the problem. It should not change unless someone has messed with it before. And once you do mess with it, especially on a bike with multiple carbs, it can be difficult to get it set back right. I would say the problem is in the choke setup somewhere, unfortunately I am not familiar with Goldwing carbs, mine is fuel injected.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
The only time i can get it to run and stay running is if I'm using the throttle to artifically get the engine to idle. There has to be something still clogged.

...[/Quote}
CAREFULLY Check exhaust temp of pipes after starting
all getting warm?, or just 2,
:ROFL:too much gas or spark problem:ROFL:
mice ate my airfilter once, the pieces gumed up the works Honda dealer got $600 bucks from me in 93
I have window screen over the airfilter now, and I no longer go to dealer for work either

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.