Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Any clues on the identity of the mystery goo on number 4? One, two and three all looked the same and by that I mean pretty clean and then I pried the bowl cover off this one and well it's pretty plain to see. The float is discolored kinda greenish. The little depression in the bottom of the bowl cover had a little dried up pool of it too. It all looks burnt and I'm afraid to say, like burnt rubber but don't let that color your judgement. I'd like to have a good idea of what this crud is before I go any further with it.

Attachments

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

Perhaps its a denial.

Looks like a good boil job and some carb clean will make it disappear though.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Oh I love a good mystery!!!!

Not sure what it is though.:cool:

:?:?:?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd just call it crud and get rid of it. Why it's only in one carb is a mystery to me but a lot better than having it in all four.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I have heard that some fuel stabilizers for long term storage have that happen. I'm thinking once the gas dry's up the remains are the ingredients of the stabilizer.was this bike laid up for a while?

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

My main concern is that somebody before me got in there and dunked it in something for too long in something they shouldn't have causing some kind of internal meltdown which found it's way down to the bowl. Unlikely, but ya never know. I'm hoping somebody's seen this before and it's no big deal before I boil it. Whatever it is, it smells petro based and it looks charred. Another remote clue is the bowl screws were not tight and there was a buildup of road grime on the bowl cover unlike the other three which were all relatively clean.

Yeah Cahuna it was laid up. I know for sure it sat for six years in a little cargo trailer on a storage lot in Anza Borrego.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Looks like the left overs from a certain brand of carb cleaner I've used on car carbs that's not recommended for bike carbs unless all the rubbers and plastics have been removed first. Looks like some one got in a hurry and didn't completely rinse it all out.

I recommend soaking it in a bucket of seafoam and see if it'll come off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.