Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok a while back got my 85 1200 running pretty good syncd them up and did idle drop which was a pain but i think i got it close anyway since then it seems like something just isn't right i get a strong exhaust smell and my mph is about 32 to 34 which from what I'm ready is kind of bad and i happened to come across some people talking about shimming your carb needles up. went out side and took one of the tops off the carbs and my needles are shimmed. so my question is if the bike possibly didn't need them in the first place would shimming them cause poor gas millage and have it running to rich? and I'm also wondering if this is the reason my idle drop has been a pain. thanks in advance for anybodys input...

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Anything's possible, but I was under the impression that the shims were intended to clear-up OFF-IDLE and PART throttle lean spots. You can always remove the shims and see how it runs.

Your milage does sound low unless you're really stretching the throttle cable... :gunhead:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
imported post

The shims do make it richer, so...

It's not easy to get to the forward carbsand get those needles out. Get the right front done first, the rest should seem easy after that. But those screw headsare easyto strip out.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

sounds like someone might have drilled or increased the size of your pilots. pull the lid off your airbox and check for gas pudding in the center chamber I have seen the center gasket leak. another possible cause could be one or more float valves not shutting off a plug reading would show you if all carbs are rich or just one or two. if that all checks out you might need to check and change pilot jets.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

The carb needle shims are used to correct a off idle stumble that is unique to the 75-77 Gl1000 and shouldn't be done to the Gl1100 or the GL1200.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Down Have you had the carbs. off ? I would agree to remove the shims and see what happens. Mine is a 86, no shims, totally stock and runs great after a good cleaning of jets, float levels and syn. But a 86 is a slightly different carb. set up.
Jim

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I have had my carbs off around 6 4 or 5 times learning things and going back and doing it right the one thing i never checked was shims just learned about them and had a hell of a time with the idle drop thought i got it pretty close but it still seems like somethins just not right I'll remove them and do another idle drop and see what happens

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.