Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Preacher Man
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a question , I have a 87A that am working on for my son. The PO put a set of 86 carbs on it. I ordered a rebuild kit and of course things are different (Jet sizes) Well I changed the jet to match an 87. Now my question is where should the float level be set at? Book gives 7mm for 86 and 7.5mm for an 87 which should I use. I don't understand why the float level is different.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
imported post

15.5mm seems to ring a bell for some reason...don't hold me to it though.:?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

rOmiLaYu wrote:
15.5mm seems to ring a bell for some reason...don't hold me to it though.:?
That's for 1100 carbs, he's working on 1200's.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

I would go with jet sizing and float height for the year of the carburetors not the year of the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Melp- There are numbers stamped on the base of the carbs. on the flange where the float bowls attach. They will tell you the model carbs. you have. This is from my 86, which i know are different from 84-85,at least as far as the jetting goes, don"t know about 87. I pretty sure 7.5mm is correct for 87.

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Actually it's more important that they are all the same and meet the spec for the modle year of the carbs. FYI my 84 Std and 85 Aspencade are both set to 7.5. I don't remember seeing different specs for different years of 1200 but then I've never looked.

·
Preacher Man
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

According to my Clymer manual the 86 is the only 1200 that that has a different float height adj.(7mm) and all others (7.5mm)

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Just a note, you are correct about the Clymer manual says 7 mm, but i set my 86 (stupitly) at 7.5 mm. It runs great and i'm getting high 30's low 40's mileage, back and forth to work. At this point i'm not tearing all down again to try the .5 mm difference.

Jim

·
Preacher Man
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well I can,t see no difference in the carbs except the size of the jets don,t understand the different in specs.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I would say 7mm, but .5 mm is such a tiny difference I doubt it would make a difference. But if you have them apart, and are sure they are '86 carbs, then I would go with '86 specs, including jets.

·
Administrator
26,186 Posts
imported post

If you are using a clymer manual it is probably a misprint. My Honda CD shows all of them to set at 7.5mm.

·
Preacher Man
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Well I do have them back together and I did put the 87 parts in them and bench tested today have them half back in but Monday will be the next chance to work on them.If it don't work then back out I guess. Have a lot of rust in the fuel pump can't seem to flush it all out been flushing with carb cleaner.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

I believe the change in the jetting and float setting on the 86 was Honda trying to solve the slight bog/hesatation a lot of 84-85 1200 had. Either way, if i had mine apart again i would use the 7 mm setting.

Jim

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
If you are using a clymer manual it is probably a misprint. My Honda CD shows all of them to set at 7.5mm.
Nope, the Honda manual also says 7.0mm for the 86.
This information is not found in the fuel section where it just says 7.5mm and doesn't differentiate between the years but is in the specifications section.

·
Preacher Man
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Ok thanks that is what I wanted to hear is why but then why did they go back?

·
Preacher Man
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

In 86 Honda went to a larger jet then again in 87 even larger they also went to a pump with a higher flow rate in 87.

·
Preacher Man
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

But my 85 fuel injected don,t run bad but I hope that I don't have trouble with that ( I an't read that book yet)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.