Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I did a dumb dumb thing. In the middle of randakking the carbs on a GL1200 and I drilled/pulled the wrong plug. The port it covered is best as I can measure 3/8". Went down to the stealer and they as much as laughed in my face. Any suggestions on a fix? This rebuild is dead in the water until I fix it. Plug depth is approx. 1/6". I can post a pic if it will help.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

I don't know what plug you're talking about. However, the last time I was at the auto machine shop, I saw a complete selection of plugs for water and oil passages.

I have found that "Ace Hardware" has a lot of odd ball hardware items. I'm not sure that I answered your question, but I hope this helps. Someone more knowledgeable will be along in a few minutes.

Terry

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks Terry. Could be an option. It's just a flat round metal "plug". Sort of like a slug. I've got a buddy around here with a bunch of crappy 1200 carbs. I'm thinking about buying one of the crappiest and carving it up with my dremel to get at the plug I need. Wonder if they are reusable?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Two ways to try I can think of...

Put a ball bearing that fits as tightly as possible and JB weld it in place. Or force a suitably sized piece of lead into the hole.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

Or put a few threads on and locktite in a screw. Then you can Dremel it off.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Keep 'em comin'! Port is too shallow for a screw and would most likely restrict/block airflow. I located the plug (thought I tossed it). At worst I thought I could put a piece of tape on the backside of the plug, fill the 1/8" hole that I drilled through it flush, let it set up, peel tape off backside, install repaired plug back into body, fill cavity (1/32") with JB weld flush. I hate these kind of "fixes" though. I'm gonna run around to the local machine shops. It's out there somewhere. I'm just itchin' to finish this job.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

If you go the route with reusing the old plug, put a small dent around the hole. This gives a bit of an area for the filler material to not only bond but mushroom out on the back-side.

I know what you mean about "these kind of fixes". Things aren't right but operational. I have seen some of these temporary fixes last for years.

Good luck and keep us informed. Some day these fixes may be all that is available for goldwing owners.

Terry

I forgot to ask, will the plug hold solder? If will that maybe a possible solution.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Email Randall he may just send you one he seems to have lots of spares of stuff like this and you did buy his kit..right...

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Thanks RB. I didn't think of that. I'll give it a shot. Went to Ace and Lowe's that didn't have anything. 'bout ready to break out the JB Weld.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks RB. I didn't think of that. I'll give it a shot. Went to Ace and Lowe's that didn't have anything. 'bout ready to break out the JB Weld.
Did you ever find a fix for this?
I just did the same darn thing.

Wow! What a lame first post! Ive been spending all my time reading, and never needed to post. Guess I better go to the intro section next :)

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Thanks Terry. Could be an option. It's just a flat round metal "plug". Sort of like a slug. I've got a buddy around here with a bunch of crappy 1200 carbs. I'm thinking about buying one of the crappiest and carving it up with my dremel to get at the plug I need. Wonder if they are reusable?
Why not get a set from your friend and use the entire body that you need instead of trying to cut out the plug. It would sure be faster than doing a lot of Dremel work. It would be a repair you could count on instead of having worry whether it would hold up.

I am thinking that the plug had a slight dome to it before it was pressed in to the body. As the plug is pressed in it expands slightly to make a tight fit. That dome is now gone. That would mean the plug is not reusable.

·
Toolmaker
34 Posts
carb plugs

The plugs are known as Welch plugs try a friendly auto supply store they might have the one you need. I have found them at O'Riely's. They are used on auto carsbs. The last one I got was about 50 cent each. Might take some effort to find some willing one to go to the effort to do the searching.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The plugs are known as Welch plugs try a friendly auto supply store they might have the one you need. I have found them at O'Riely's. They are used on auto carsbs. The last one I got was about 50 cent each. Might take some effort to find some willing one to go to the effort to do the searching.
Do you know what the purpose of this particular plug is? I mean, I know it's made to plug a hole, but why is the hole there to begin with, and why plug it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.