Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What is the secret to getting the "beast" up on the center stand. I have tried six ways fromSunday and I had to get help every time. I am six feet tall, 230+ pounds and I still can't manage to put it on that &^#% center stand by myself:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

The GL1200 is I believe the most difficult Wing to get on the stand. They weren't easy to get on the stand when new, years and miles later doesn't make the job any easier. I can manage mine sometimes (182lbs & 5'-9"), but other times I just have to give up.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

The important thing to remember is to make sure both sides of the center stand are flat on the ground.

Step one Get off the bike ;)

Step two If you didn't before you got off the bike, pick the bike up, and put the side stand down :shock: (Ok,, maybe the side stand thing should have been step one)

Step three Grab the left handle bar and left passenger grab rail

Step fourPush down on the center stand lightly until it touches the ground, straighten out the bike until you feel both sides of the stand are on the ground.

Step five Step down on the center-stand as you lift up with your hands, most of the work should be done by your leg, even to the point your left foot comes completly off the ground. Roll the bike to the rear until it's up.

Note don't put the bike on the center stand if the bike in on much of an incline, it will go up real sweet, but you will need 3 guys and a dog to get it off the stand. Good luck

And remember 80% of the lifting force comes from your leg, 15% comes from pulling with your right hand on the passanger grab rail, and 5 % comes from the cursing and swearing because you got off your bike without putting down the side stand.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger gives the book way of putting all Wings on the stand. But the 1200 is still a beast. I think the stand wears out and makes it hard to get a smooth pull anyway. Did you ever notice how many 1200s on the main stand have the back tyre touching the ground? I think its because the stand mounts are worn.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Another little cheater for when you are trying to set it on the center stand at home. Stop the bikeon top of a piece of 2X4 under the rear tire. That will raise the back of the bike and should reduce the leverage required for it to get past its centre of balance.

My 82 is even tough and I'm 6' 225lbs (well cut though....honest!)

Goldwinger....I love your stats. They really put things into perspective.

Kyle

Strive to be a victim of opportunity!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

I'm 5'7" and carry a16" 2x4 slanted at one end and drive up on it and then have no problem getting the bike up on the stand, it seems just enough to bring it up so I really dont have to lift that much.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

I find just a little bit of rear momentum on my 1200 works well, on the flat, if you're very carefull. I will admit, as I'm getting older,it's getting harder!!

Ride Safe

Grant

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

chief43 wrote:
I'm 5'7" and carry a16" 2x4 slanted at one end and drive up on it and then have no problem getting the bike up on the stand, it seems just enough to bring it up so I really dont have to lift that much.

I was considering making a small ramp with a 1" rise. Perhaps if I increased the air pressure in the rear shocks before I try next time. Would that help raise the chassis a little bit more of the ground??

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My 1200 has an aftermarket chrome center stand. I don't know if it is different than the original but my bike comes up reasonably well with a mighty heave on the left passenger grab rail whilst (love that, too bad U.S. English lost it) standing on one foot on the stand tail. The rear tire never quite comes off the ground. On smaller bikes in the past it used to be possible to ride off the center stand after sliding back on the seat a bit, but I haven't been able to get enough weight far enough aft to do that on my 'Wing. My garage has a slight downslope toward the main door and I can agree heartily that even that slight upgrade makes it a real effort to get it off the stand.

Might make it easier to get on the stand if you have the rear shock pressure set up a bit to raise the bike a little.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Budegan wrote:
Goldwinger gives the book way of putting all Wings on the stand. But the 1200 is still a beast. I think the stand wears out and makes it hard to get a smooth pull anyway. Did you ever notice how many 1200s on the main stand have the back tyre touching the ground? I think its because the stand mounts are worn.
Budegan make a good point, it the bike has the proper spec rear tire (sorry, tyre)on, and it is touching the ground when on the center stand, you should look at the stand something is amiss. I have heard of the mount getting soft, but have never seen it, the only stand problem I have seen, is the points that contact the ground were not rounded, they had been flattened some how, and that can make it next toimpossible to get the bike up. Other then this bug, how's the winginggoing???? Have you got that silly grin that only other bikers, anddogs with there heads out the car window know??;)

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

The "winging" goes well! It now only takes me 50% of the ride time to calm down and relax. I do have a tendancy to piss a lot of people off by slowing down a bit too much in the sharper turns (ie - down to 50 KM hour in a turn I would normally do at 80 KM hour in a car) but I am working on banking the bike with "push" turns and trying to maintain a reasonable rate of speed.

Some surprises on Saturday. The first was down shifting onto 2nd instead of upshifting into fourth (heel-toe shifter) in a turn
(pucker factor of 6). The second was getting my boot toe stuck between the shifter and therear of the engine, also in a turn
(pucker factor of 7). The third was an emergency stop (why is it that pedestrians feel it is necessary to hide behind a utility pole before stepping out into a cross walk?). I actually remembered topull the brake handle and press the brake pedal at the same time. I down shifted quickly down through four gears just in time to put my left foot out when the bike stopped. I quess-timateI wentfrom 60 Km hour to 0 in about 30-35 feet.
(pucker factor of 8). Its nice to see the anti-dive works on the bike but its not the way I would liked to have tested it.

Incidentally, if anyone is curious what the pucker factor is, it comes from military/aviation lingo and refers to the involuntary tighening if one's arsehole in stressfull situations - hence the "pucker factor".

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger is spot on. But, at the risk of stating the obvious, you should also make sure that you give the main stand joints a good brushing to get rid ofas muchaccumulated road dirt as you can, and then spray them liberally with an 'un-jamming' product such as WD40.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

My rear tire (tyre) is a couple off inches of the ground when on the center stand.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

mjpliv wrote:
My rear tire (tyre) is a couple off inches of the ground when on the center stand.
The only thing left I can think of is to put the bike on the side stand, go over to the right side of the bike and get down on the ground. If the landing pads(for lack of a better word) on the stand appear in good shape and not flattened, grab the center stand and lower it by hand a few inches(a few more centimetres) and check for lateral movement and smooth operation, there should be very little if any side to side movement. If there is the bushing could be toast, and all of your lifting force is lost in the lateral movement. If all seems to be ok,,,, time for a Gym membership, and build up them leg muscles:weightlifter::skipping::weightlifter::santahat:

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Problem solved. A friend of mine (a Harley rider) told me to lift straight up. I wouldn't have believed him in a hundred years, but it worked.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

mjpliv wrote:
If the rear tyre on any motorcycle touches the ground, :Xwhile the bike is on the centre stand :gunhead: there is one thing that causes that, :crying:! ! ! ! ! ! The incorrect tyre size is fitted. :clapper: It does'nt matter how big or heavy the bike is, :)or how big, small, or heavy you are. :DTo putthe bikeon the centre stand is a combo of right leg (80%) and right hand/arm(20%) and then lift, :grinner:your left hand/arm is for holding the left handgrip and your left leg is for holding your balance. :clapper: My (Boss) wife who is 5'4'' and weighs 9st3lbs :crying:can put my :18red:up on the stand without any problems.:clapper: Now you even have my wifes vital statistics. :grinner:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
mjpliv wrote:
If the rear tyre on any motorcycle touches the ground, :Xwhile the bike is on the centre stand :gunhead: there is one thing that causes that, :crying:! ! ! ! ! ! The incorrect tyre size is fitted. :clapper: It does'nt matter how big or heavy the bike is, :)or how big, small, or heavy you are. :DTo putthe bikeon the centre stand is a combo of right leg (80%) and right hand/arm(20%) and then lift, :grinner:your left hand/arm is for holding the left handgrip and your left leg is for holding your balance. :clapper: My (Boss) wife who is 5'4'' and weighs 9st3lbs :crying:can put my :18red:up on the stand without any problems.:clapper: Now you even have my wifes vital statistics. :grinner:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:
I see a lot of bike owners these days fitting lower shocks to get that dropped look and to lower the seat height toreach the ground easier. Doing this will pretty much make the centerstand useless, without some kind of ramp. It can also throw off the sidestand angle as well.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Well, I have standard Dunlops and original shocks on my bike which sits with its rear wheel on ground when on the centerstand. My centerstand appears to be an aftermarket chromed deal and might be different than the original. Probably should look for an original stand on eBay.

Do any of you guys have an inclinometer or some such. I'd appreciate it to find out what the lean angle is on a 1200A when on the sidestand.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Chromed centrestand! How are we expected to keep that clean! :shock:

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem of the rear wheel touching the ground on my 1200 Aspencade, It turned out to be a combination of things :-

1 After market air shocks 1/2" longer than stock items therefore lowering the rear wheel.

2 Mainstand bent forward slightly due to excessive weight of bike over a number of years of use.

3 Corrosion of mainstand.

4 Frame crossmember were the stand makes contact in the down position distorted and flattened.

The problem was solved by removing the stand and straightening it and strengthening it with some 3mm steel welded around the weak areas also the points that make contact with the frame were built up with steel strips welded on i would suggest placing thin strips of metal between the frame and stand and trying it before removing the stand to determine the thickness needed and to save having to keep fitting the stand and such like.

If you are lazy and weld the strips in place while the stand is still on the bike observe the safetyprecautions needed ie: alternator and battery disconected fuel vapours etcetc.

A word to the wise about the aftermarket chrome side stands i fitted one, for the first few days it was ok thenthe bikeappeared to be leaning over more and more until one day it nearly toppled over while i was putting the stand down, what was happening was the slot in the stand were the bolt goes through was splaying out and a crack was forming this was due to the replacement chrome bolts plain shankbeing to long and allowing the stand to splay outwards this was solved by using the original honda bolt instead after closing up the splayed end and repairing the crack with a bit of stainless steel tig welding the idea behind this is that it only needs a bit of polishing up afterwards to disguise the weld and the blueing of the chrome, it is also worth checking the contact area between the stand and frame lug when the stand is in the down position as my stand was machined away to much in this area allowing the stand to swing to far forward this was also solved by welding a piece of 4mm stainless wire to build up the contact area, This should not really have to be done with a brand new stand, it was bought of the internet from an American parts supplier and it came with a disclaimer advising that it should be only used on wings that lean at an excessive angle on the original stand.!

After the mods it has been fine-lucky i have access to welding equipment my stand must have been made on a monday morning.:p

Oh and lastly a good coat of paint to the mainstand.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.