Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My choke cable on my '86 Interstate :12red: has just snapped. According to the Haynes manual the carbs have to be removed to replace it. Is this correct or is there an easier way. If I do have to remove them must i also replace the gaskets etc. While im down that far is there anything else I should do.?

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The choke cable goes to the front of the carbs. The problem is that it's almost impossible to get a screwdriver to the Phillips screw that clamps the outer cable at that point. You can possible get a stubby screwdriver in, but I found it faster to just take out the manifold bolts and move the carbs back an inch and get at the screw that way. Mine is a gl1100, same steup on the 1200.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I would replace the O-rings where the manifolds attach to the heads, might also be easier if you take off the fairing lowers as well

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Poacher, if you do remove the carbs, take them out as an assembly, don't take eachcarb out individually or else you'll be at it for hours. It's not a hard job and it will give you the opportunity to inspect and adjust the carbs while they are out.

Vic

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I'dgo with Vic on this. It's not a major extra step to pull the carbs out. Be wary of the Phillips screws holding the air filter box down on the carbs. They often seize up and shear (they seem to be made of a brassy type metal, very soft).

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

I know this is an old thread but I could use some advice. I have pulled the lower faring sides, the air filter and filter housing, and the spark plug wires. I have unbolted the intake manifolds and attempted to slide the carbs out the left side a couple of inches to get to the choke cable on the front of the carbs.

The problem is that I can't get the carbs to slide left or back more than a 1/2 inch. It feels like something is still holding it in place in the center. I'm using the Clymer manual which isn't very clear.

It's an 84 GL1200.

Neil

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

nfallon55 wrote:
I know this is an old thread but I could use some advice. I have pulled the lower faring sides, the air filter and filter housing, and the spark plug wires. I have unbolted the intake manifolds and attempted to slide the carbs out the left side a couple of inches to get to the choke cable on the front of the carbs.

The problem is that I can't get the carbs to slide left or back more than a 1/2 inch. It feels like something is still holding it in place in the center. I'm using the Clymer manual which isn't very clear.

It's an 84 GL1200.

Neil
When you unbolted the intake tubes did you also loosen them at the carb and rotate them up about 180 deg? That will help you gain a lot of clearance needed to slide the carbs part way out to the left. A trick with the 1200 is to lift the front ofthe carb body slightly and rotate it counter clockwise a little bit. Then it clears the front of the frame and the fuel tank. You don't need to take the carbs all the way out. Just a few inches to the left will do to access the choke cable.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Oops I almost forgot. When you rotate the intake "tubes" you'll see a chrome hose connector to the side of each carb. Those just lift out of the hole and is sealed by an O-Ring. Just put a little lube on those O-rings when you put them back.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

jdvorchak wrote:
When you unbolted the intake tubes did you also loosen them at the carb and rotate them up about 180 deg? That will help you gain a lot of clearance needed to slide the carbs part way out to the left. A trick with the 1200 is to lift the front ofthe carb body slightly and rotate it counter clockwise a little bit. Then it clears the front of the frame and the fuel tank. You don't need to take the carbs all the way out. Just a few inches to the left will do to access the choke cable.
Very good reminder and tip. Sounds like jdvorchak has been around the Wing garage a time or two... :applause: :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Thank you!

After pulling and replacing the 1200 carbs a few times on an 85 Aspencade you kind of figure it out.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

I turned the intakes up and still can't slide it out.

Do I have to disconnect the tubes under the carbs or remove the front engine mounting plate?

Neil

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
imported post

No to all of those questions, Neil.

First, remove the intake tubes completely.

Make sure the chrome vacuum lines are completely out of the holes. Pry them up with a screwdriver if needed.

There are several things on top of the engine that can catch on the bottom of the carbs. Just systematicly clear them by lifting and twistingthe carbs as you move them to the left.

Removing the carbs on a GL12is the hardest job on the bike. Everything hangs up and slows you down, even the plug wires get in the way. But, if you take your time...

Once you have the carbs moving, undo the throttle cables. Once they are off the whole set should move easier.

For the choke cable, I suggest you remove the cable mount from the plenum. Then you can reach in and get the cable itself out of the linkage.

It's a good idea to put a couple layers of masking tape over the corner of the gas tank to keep the carb linkage from scratching it.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

i took the screw that holds the cable and replaced it. i used an allen screw, made it a little easier to remove and install. walkabout :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.