Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 84 gl 1200, fresh gas , starts ok w/full choke, after short warm up i have to leave some choke on, or the engine dies. I`m almost sure the idle circut is to blame. How can I clean this problem up?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Posibly. carbs are very finicky on the flat 4 wing's
Could also be a number of other things or a combination of things.
You need to give us some more info. Is the bike new to you have you rode lots. New problem or always been like this.
You say after short warmup you have to leave choke on some. what about after a 20 minute ride. these wings are very coldbloded
Wilf

·
Down
279 Posts
imported post

WELCOME TO THE BEST GOLDWING FORUM I WOULD GO TO THE INTRODUCTION LINK AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF YOU WILL GET A WARM WELCOME. Acouple of things you can do. First i would turn your idle set screw up not the carbs but the throttle linkage idle screw get her to where she will run without choke high idle then take out your air filter and while running take a towel or cloth and try to cut off the air supply don't hold it in there to long just when the engine is gonna die pull it back out and repeat a couple times when you do this it will create a bit more suction in the idle passage dislodging whatever is in there sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't worth a try. another is to run some seafoam thru a tank or two, Or as a last resortaka no patience pull carbs and clean the idle passage on whatever carb is not working and definitely change fuel filter if have not in a while

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

If you are handy with a wrench, pull the carbs and clean them especially if you have not done it yet or it is a new to you bike. This way you know where you are at.

Many people have luck with Seafoam and I was one of them in the past. This year I had to remove and clean mine and it was a daunting task, the first time. Now I am confident I could do it in 3-4 hours if I had to do it again.

If this is the first time you have had the issue, try the Seafoam and see what you get. At most your out a couple of bucks and some time out riding.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum-a great bunch of people ! Having gone through the same thing i also think you will end up pulling the carbs. for a cleaning.Remove the jets,float valves and needles,clean all the passages and reset the float levels. I know it sounds mind boggeling, but it's not as bad as it looks. A good carb. syn. is credical after you are done !
Don't forget all new filters and check the tank for rust.
Jim

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks to all who replied, Sea Foam DID the trick,I hav`nt put the bike back together yet for a ride, but after a full warm up the bike has a , I call it, a carb hick-up, @ idle. Maybe this will go away after a good ride?

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
imported post

I had the same issue with my 84 aspy,I did as the others have done(seafoam)and after a couple of tanks she runs real smooth again and developed more low end torque!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.