Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just put this 84 GL1200A back together after a complete engine removal. It only has 27k miles on it so I, like a dummy, did not check the swing arm bearings.
There is a slight clunk from the rear end area when I take off from a stop.
No noise from the final drive. Put fresh oil in there. Replaced the driven hub in the rear
wheel due to no grease and wear on the splines.

Any ideas besides the obvious swing arm?

Thanks
Ron

Attachments

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

oldfart66 wrote:
Replaced the driven hub in the rear
wheel due to no grease and wear on the splines.
Usually if the hub spline is worn the final drive output spline is also worn.
There are also four more splines between your engine and wheel, any one of them could be the culprit or even excess back lash in the final drive.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks.
Checked the u joint when it was all apart. looked good.
And yes there was wear on the drive flange in the final drive unit but not as much as on the driven flange. I did not have the extra $$ to replace both at the time. At some point a rebuild is on my wish list. I will check the slop in the drive itself.
Keep the rubber side down everybody.

C ya
Ron

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Mine does the same thing. I put a new final drive in and still doing it. I was thinking it was the clutch because does it is worse in warm weather when the bike is running warmer.

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

84 and 85 1200's were known to have bad rear wheel and bearings. You can check for rear wheel play:
put the bike on the center stand
grab the wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions as best as possible
using a 'push with one arm/pull with the other' motion try to rock the rear wheel to feel for any play. Any play is too much.

You'll have to remove the rear wheel to check if the bearings or the wheel are at fault.
There was a service bulletin about this and Honda had a modified wheel to fix it. It's the same wheel that came on the 86-87 model. Now it's been discontinued. Most people are using a slightly modified GL1500 rear wheel. The 88-89 GL1500 wheel works well with a couple of modifications.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for that hint. I will check the rear wheel tomorrow.
On another note, I am still wondering about the carb problem where it pops and spits back into the airbox. I just noticed that the problem is worse when the weather is cool like it was today. It's been in the 90's up to now and the bike does not act up as much when it's hot outside. I figure the carbs will have to come back off again in the near future. It was interesting to observe the difference today. It does not happen under a load, only at light throttle. The devil is in the details. I cleaned out the carbs last month and went through them with carb cleaner, compressed air and a small piece of copper wire through the tiny jets and passages. Guess I will do it again.

Thanks all.
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.