Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When putting into gear lever always engaged.what is causing this? Could it be low on oil or clutch needs adjustment or new? 1984 Aspencade 44,000 and is it worth getting fixed.Also it doesn't seem to be charging,is it the altenator and is that too costly to be fixed?

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

You indicate a 84 Aspy, they are oil, hydraulic operated clutch but your Goldwing shown at the left shows an 1100, which is cable operated.

If you are discussing a 1200 hydraulically operated clutch system the 2 different pistons may be having difficulty operating because of excess air that must be bled and replenished with the proper hydraulic oil. Possibility of leaks within each piston will create problems where the displacement from 1 will not completely operate the other.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

On the Stator You may do some quick checks using a Multi meter then maybe cleaning the connections or doing the bypass which is outlined in the DIY section here and on the 1200 site.
Myself I would convert it to the Poorboy setup.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

low fluid level did that on my 84 aspy you might check the site window mine was seeping thru there. also the rubber diaphram under the front brake master cyclinder cover might not be in the right position ( box above the clutch lever )
Hope this helps ya
Tony

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Site JERSEYKEN811!!

First, the "Proper hydraulic oil" ARKnapp is referring to is DOT-4 brake fluid.As was stated, check your fluid level. If the levels good try turning the handlebars ATW to the left and cracking the banjo bolt loose on the master cylinder and bleeding there. Normaly if there's any air, that's where it's trapped... Use lot's of wrags!! You DON'T want that DOT-4 on any plastic fairing pieces!!!:shock:

The GL1200 is known for having charging system problems unless the stator and regulator connectors have been removed and soldered/hardwired.. Here's how to test the Stator:

Stator Test

1- First, put the bike on the centerstand. Cut the wires on both sides of the stator connector plug. Strip the insulation aprox. 1/2"-1" back on all three yellow wires. Label each wire A, B, and C.

2- With a multimeter, digital or analog, set to read resistance, check each leg to ground for short's. If no short's are found, (o resistance), you're good to go so far.

3- With the meter set to read resistance, check across each leg. A to B, B to C, then C to A. The reading's should be about 3 ohm's. If you read infinite resistance across any of the legs you have an open winding and the stator is bad. If they read good, keep going.

4- A helper is good to have for this next step. With the battery fully charged and the three yellow wire's separated so they cannot make contact, crank the bike. Have your helper rev the bike to 3000rpm after the bike warm's up.

IMPORTANT!!!

You are checking for AC voltage NOT DC voltage!! Make sure the meter is set to read a minimum of 120vac!!

With the bike at 3000rpm, check leg A to B. Note the voltage.

Then check leg B to C. Note the voltage.

Finaly check leg C to A. Note the voltage.

Compare the three readings. They should be between 50-70vac plus or minus about 5vac per leg. If they read good, chances are you've got a bad regulator.

Is the bike worth fixing?? If the Tupperware is good on it I'd say yes because, mechanicly at 44,000 miles, I'd say you've got an almost new 27 year old bike!! One other thing to keep in mind is those timing belts... If you don't know for sure when they were changed,,, they need to be!!!!:blackstuff::cool:

Good luck with her and let us know if you need some help!!:coollep:

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thank you for that information and i did make a mistake it is a 1200. Will take your information and put it to go use.

Thanks again,Ken

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thank You for all the information you wrote back to me. I am not much of a mech. on bikes but i will put it to good use.
Living in a high rise apartment building it is hard to do any work on anything even though i keep the bike in a garage.
You have been very helpful and i am glad i found this site.

Thanks again,
Ken:applause::?

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

A "stator" ispart of the Goldwing electric generator. It is a group of windings that the rotor spins inside of to generate electricity to operate the motorcycle. It is located inside the engine cases and is very time consuming to get to because the engine has to be removed from the frame to get to it. Here is a picture of one.

Stator

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

Ken,

Readthe VIN off of your GL1200 model ID plate up near the steering head, then call:

Motorcycle Division
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
P.O. Box 2200
Torrance, CA 90509-2200
Mail stop: 100-4C-7B
Telephone: (866) 784-1870

Their customer service department can tell you if your specific bike has had it's alternator stator replaced under warranty. If so, and the "three yellow wires" have been hard soldered, you are probably gonna be all right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.