Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am having a hard time shifting my GL 1200, 1985 Aspencade at times. I know the book says it can mean there is air in the lines if it happens when warm. It does get worse when warm, but sometimes it works fine.

Also, I looked at the fluid. It is pretty brown in the master cylinder. Should I try to clean that out, or flush it all through? How clear should that liquid be if it has been in there for more than 3 years (maybe way more?). Is there an easy way to clean it out without removing the master cylinder?

Any advice on this? Thanks!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
imported post

Vacuum the old fluid out with a turkey baster... swab out any remaining grunge and dirt being careful not to knock out the little clip at the bottom, refresh with clean fluid, open the bleed valve on the caliper and bleed the old fluid out being careful not to allow air in the system.

Speed bleeders come in handy for that job :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
Vacuum the old fluid out with a turkey baster... swab out any remaining grunge and dirt being careful not to knock out the little clip at the bottom, refresh with clean fluid, open the bleed valve on the caliper and bleed the old fluid out being careful not to allow air in the system.

Speed bleeders come in handy for that job :)
I used a mity vac to clean it out then filled up the resivoir and kept it filled with fresh fluid then opened the bleeders and used the mity vac on them and it all worked like a champ. I did the clutch and front and rear brakes together. Used dot four synthetic fluid.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
imported post

vtxcandyred wrote:
Used dot four synthetic fluid.
Isn't synthetics a No No?? DOT 4 yes, but thats not synthetic, DOT 4.1 is, but don't use that.

That was my understanding, Am I wrong..?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

My book, if I remember right, says not DOT 5 synthetic. I'm not sure about DOT 4 synthetic.


Thanks for the info!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
imported post

Jalamiller wrote:
My book, if I remember right, says not DOT 5 synthetic. I'm not sure about DOT 4 synthetic.


Thanks for the info!
What I used was Castrol synthetic brake fluid. I have the bottle at home so I don't know if it was dot four or five or whatever but it was synthetic.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
vtxcandyred wrote:
Used dot four synthetic fluid.
Isn't synthetics a No No?? DOT 4 yes, but thats not synthetic, DOT 4.1 is, but don't use that.

That was my understanding, Am I wrong..?
Don't know why it would say that. All it does is not attract moisture like non synthetic does. I've had it in my VTX since it was new and I changed it.
 

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Joined
·
22,581 Posts
imported post

VTX is correct. That's the best way to clean out and bleed the system, and it should be done every couple of years.
He is also correct about the brake fluid. Synthetic is fine, and it's easier on the paint.
However, I can not condone his ownership of a VTX. ;-)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
VTX is correct. That's the best way to clean out and bleed the system, and it should be done every couple of years.
He is also correct about the brake fluid. Synthetic is fine, and it's easier on the paint.
However, I can not condone his ownership of a VTX. ;-)
AHHHHH, jealousy will get you no where!!!!!!!!!;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
Obviously if you don't want to waste money on a mighty vac.... use step one

Some might say a waste others an investment. If you really want to save a buck I have used a piece of plastic tubing on the bleeder and made sure it was in a container with fluid in it and open the bleeder and just make sure the reservoirs and the container keep fluid in them. Two pennies.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
imported post

I have been bleeding brakes on my 84 & 85 wings since 84, I do them every two years.

Probably spent the equivalent of a mightyvac on fluid in that time.

Sure if your doing bikes every day they would be worth it, but a $1 in a dollar store for a turkey baster, so long as you dont use it for a turkey I find it fine. Now I saved the money on the baster and use speed bleeders.

Oh yes, if those sight glasses are starting to yellow you can always visit here:

http://newrivercyclesalvage.com/sight-glass.html
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top