Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all gl1200 clutch levers firm? meaning it takes more effort then I'm used to in order to pull the clutch in? Now I have short fat hands and I have some arthritis too? But a friend of my rode my bike and he made the comment that the clutch lever felt very stiff.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
They aren't normally particularly heavy or tight. Check the simple things first like is the lever pivot bolt too tight or corroded. Have you aftermarket levers fitted? Some of them are rubbish quality and cause more problems than they are worth.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
You may need to rebuild the master cylinder and slave cylinder, They get dirty inside from lack of proper maintenance, changing fluid yearly from new or rebuild prevents a lot of problems, same with the brakes. It only takes a couple years of sitting or not flushing and the gunk starts building it the seal grooves.
There is grease needed in the lever bushing too.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
When was the last time you changed or flushed the fluid? The 1200 is the easiest clutch pull of any bike I've owned.

Now that is not to say that someone didn't change the clutch pack to a performance clutch, like Barnet racing clutch, and the resulting pull will be much harder.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
My 1200 clutch feels pretty normal to me. I did have to rebuild both the master and slave cylinders when I got the bike. Then the sight glass in the master cylinder turned to dust and crumbled, so I had to take everything apart, fill the hole with JB Weld, then put it back together with more new parts. I have severe arthritis, and a number of other orthopedic problems, so repeated use of the clutch, like in town riding, can get quite painful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.