Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have lots of play in my 1984 Interstateclutch lever. Its the little bush that is in the lever that is wearing out, I want to replace this before it wears into the lever. Its a chrome lever, does anyone know if the bush is available on its own and if it fits the chrome levers?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

GL1200's came off the assembly line with black clutch and brake levers. It appears that you have an aftermarket lever on your bike.. You can remove the lever and pivot pin, remove the bushing and make one yourself. Cut a piece of copper tubing approximately the same size I.D & O.D. & length as the original bushing and slide it into the housing. You may need to ream the bushing with a drill to size the inside. Be sure to lubricate it upon installation.. If the pivot pin is worn along the shaft, it must be replaced also, and that may be an oem part that can be purchased thru mother Honda...

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

My '84 GL1200 Aspencade has chrome clutch and break handles as well.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Copper isn't really the best replacement for a bushing. It will tend to sieze on the pin in the presence of moisture. The bushing is made of oillite bronze which is porous (sp?) and holds lubricant. If you can find a shop that repairs electric motors it might be possible to find a replacement bushing, but cheap as replacement levers are it might not be worth the effort. I bought a pair of new chrome levers on eBay because my bike had a damaged brake lever when I got it. It's a pretty close match of the original.

Since I don't need the clutch lever I'd be happy to send it to you for the cost of mailing. Contact me at[email protected] and send me your mailing address if you'd like to have it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.