Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just picked up my new to me '84 Aspy and have a few issues to sort out. There was no clutch pressure at all and very little fluid in the master.

Filled up the master and bled the system, but after flushing out all the old fluid and repeated bleeding there is still no pressure on the lever.

How can I tell if it's the master cyl that needs attention or the slave cyl.

Thanks. Later.

·
1,716 Posts
imported post

If the fluid is "disappering" ,it is possible the slave cylinder .
BUT be sure that the system is bleeded correctly before you make any conclusion ! - eaysiest with a vaacum pump .

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

The master can prevent pressure if the system is properly bled. The slave cannot.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

GL1200 clutches can be very hard to bleed. Look at this video tip and try it yourself...

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

That video is spot on with my experience. I'm into my second year of ownership of my '84 std. When I first got the bike and again about a year later I had problems with the clutch fully releasing at a stop. Both times I tried bleeding the system from the slave attached to the engine but both times even though I got clear fluid with no air, the clutch was still not fully releasing. Only after I had bled the system from the banjo bolt attached to the handlebar cylinder was the prolem corrected. With the clutch lever compressed, I quickly loostened and retightened the banjo bolt and both times I could hear the "PFFT!" of air coming out. Both times it took only two strokes and the cluch again worked perfectly. I must note that the level of fluid had not been allowed to drop low enough in the master for it to suck air, so I don't know where the air came from. However it was still there and enough to not allow the clutch to fully release. As in the video, cover your paint all around the area and wrap a rag around the bolt and wrench while you're doing this. The fluid can spray in any direction and it absolutely ruins paint and is very damaging and painful if you get any in your eyes. Trust me, I've been there on both counts.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

You're at the same exact spot I was right before I went to order a slave rebuild kit, the guy at the shop was more than happy to order one for me, but he asked why I needed it. I explained it to him and he said it's not bled right. I went out and bought a hand vacuum pump from harbor frieght, five minutes bleeding and all was cherry. You'll probably run into the same problem if you try to bleed the brakes, these old wings just don't like to bleed normal I guess.

By the way, if you do bleed the brakes, the 1200 has linked brakes, so start at the front and work your way back, that's another mistake I made.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hey, you guys are the sh**. I followed your suggestion to bleed at the banjo and all of a sudden the clutch works. I was amazed, I thought for sure I needed to spend some cash but after bleeding at the banjo about 6 times and again at the slave a few times and it's all good now. Thanks. Later.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you had air in the system make sure the small port in the master cylinder is not plugged. If it is you may have a recurrance of the problem. That little hole releases pressure on the clutch fluid as the brakes heat up and vents out air that gets into the system. It's on the bottom of the reservoir toward the banjo end. Depending on the model the little port may have a cruciform piece of thin metal covering the hole preventing the fluid from squirting upward when the lid is off the reservoir. Just pry the cover out if it has one and check the tiny hole with a thin wire. I use a wire brush whisker held in a vise grip to poke the hole out. The little cover will go back in with a bit of a light push, flatten it first before replacing.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Yeah, I did check that port to make sure it was clear.
The metal piece was actually not in position when I opened the top but it was obvious where it went. Later.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

CBX n GL man wrote:
Just picked up my new to me '84 Aspy and have a few issues to sort out. There was no clutch pressure at all and very little fluid in the master.

Filled up the master and bled the system, but after flushing out all the old fluid and repeated bleeding there is still no pressure on the lever.

How can I tell if it's the master cyl that needs attention or the slave cyl.

Thanks. Later.
i had the same problem on my '85. the resevouir kept leaking out. i replaced the slave cylinder for about $20. and problem solved

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Exavid, you nailed my problem. I replaced the clutch, still slipping. Return hole clogged with rust. A sewing needle did the trick. Hellofalot easier than changing that @%#[email protected]@ clutch! :12black:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Those little ports can cause havoc with brakes and clutches on these bikes. A heck of a good reason to flush their systems every couple years.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I have a similar problem. Clutch wouldn't dis-engage. A buddy and I removed the clutch. Couldn't find a problem. Bled the slave. Got pressure on the handle, but clutch still won't let us put it in gear. Any more ideas?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Check the clutch action by rolling the bike in gear with the clutch lever squeezed. If it doesn't roll as easily as it does in neutral the problem is most likely air still in the clutch system. As inabove posts check the small port in the master cylinder, if it's plugged it's basically impossible to bleed the system.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

Just a suggestion:

In the past, with every bike I have owned, fluid change was a priority. Each year my bikes got new clutch fluid, brake fluid, cooling system flush(when applicable), oil change and rear end fluid change.

Many will say it was unnecessary and may be it was, but for a little time spent and not much money, I never had a bike go down with any fluid, transmission or engine related issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.