Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,
I had a real problem today , the clutch on my 1985 1200GL was OK when I left home, got about a mile and the lever was simply limp and did not appear to be doing anything. Which it was'nt, had to push the wing home. Later when it was cold and after pumping the lever it feels back to normal. I do not use the bike so much these days 32k on the clock from new, only 1200 in last 12 months, but would appreciate any advise.
Regards
Chris

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

Hello Chrisr !
Had the same problem with my Asp. 84 . The problem was lack of clutch liquid, refill and the problem should be solved. Soundsit's the problem when it works when you pump the lever ! Remember ! Clean wellaround the sealing before opening the little Liquidcontainer. Keep the container in horizontal direction all the time, prevent air coming in to the system when refilling.

PS.Refill with care,- Clutch Liquid can damage your paintings !

Hope it works !
Jan Denmark

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the quick reply, the levels (though the glass) look OK. I will check them this weekend. Why would it work if pumped and not after driving for 5 min, could it be the temperature or could it be the clutch wearing/sticking?

On th face of it it does seem to be a hydraulic problem, I hope.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

If the lever actually collapsed (no feel) but gets hard when pumped, then it may simply need to be bled to get back to normal. Keep a very close eye on the fluid level as well in case you have a small leak from the slave cylinder. You won't see a slave leak as it will leak into the engine.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply, yes the lever simply lost all feeling. I put it in 1st and the engine stalled. Had a real problem trying to get into neutral. Later when cold and back in the garage I tried it and felt a little resistance so pumped the lever and after about 10/12 goes it now seems to have good feeling. Could it be temperature? I will go and check the levels now but seem OK through the sight glass.

Regards

Chris

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

Chrisr !
When you pump the lever, the liquid pressure increase for a moment and then later decreases again to the same level as before start pumping! May be the gasket O-ring in the lever are weared out ?. Something must be wrong with the pressure, when it only works when pumping !

A way you can tjek it out is by doing this: With a soft hand try to press the lever grib very slowly from the outher position to the inner, if you within 2-4 minutes can press it into inner position withoutactivating the clutch your O-rings or gasket are weared out !On the otherhand when you press the lever grib quick and hard it works because the high pressure enlarge the gasket / O-ring for a short time. Thats why the "pumping" is working !

Jan
Denmark

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

Chrisr

I had a simular problem on my 1500 when I was in Italy, the heat made the cluch liquid overheat and I lost my cluch, the lever went limp, after a while when it cooled down it was fine for a short time, it was due to 2 factors. a) the liquid was old and b) the heat of the day in Italy, I had to drain the liquid and replace with new, never had a problem after that.

Matt

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hi Guys

Call me stupid !!!

I just checked the fluid level in the master cylinder, it was very low, in fact too low. So may be I have a slight leak in the slave. I have had the bike for about 4 years and never checked by taking the top off, looks OK in the sight glass but I guess I was looking wrongly.

Have now topped it up, boy the rubber gasket is tricky to keep in place whilst you put the white plastic top on. But got it on now and the lever seems really positive now. I may have overfilled it now, I hope that will not cause any problem.

Thanks for the messages and help, lets hope this fixes it.

All the best

Chris

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Chris, You may not have a leak. If the fluid is so old it will have dried out a bit anyway. Also make suer you don't overfill the reservoir, other wise the fluid will get past the small vent hole and leak onto your paintwork! Might be worthwhile just removing a small amount, it only needs to come up to the top level of the sight glass anyway.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The 1200 suffer from this in what we call "parade mode." If the clutch itself is okay the fluid will get hot from constant use in parade or city riding if the fluid hasn't been changed every couple of years. Just changing the fluid can work wonders on the 1200.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.