Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm havingsome trouble with my 84 GL1200 clutch. After bleeding the system the bike will run great for several days and have no slippage, but after a few days if you bear down hard on the throttle the clutch will slip and not stay engaged. Once I bleed it again it will run perfectly again. I can feel the clutch getting tighter and tighter each day until it starts popping out of gear all over again. I have rebuilt the slave and master cylinder and replaced the fluids. This has not seemed to make a difference. If the clutch was worn doesn't it seem like it would always have slippage issues? I don't understand why it gets worse day by day and then can be reset with a bleed. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Much!

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

That is a wierd one. I know on brake master cylinders there is the infamous tiny hole in the master that can getted plugged and not allow the caliper to retract. Does your clutch master have such a hole?

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

It does have a small little hole, I'll try cleaning that out and see if it makes a difference! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Don't make much sense to me either. The physics of it are such that the fluid only effects the release of the clutch, not the grab. If it was a fluid issue you should just be grinding gears on the shiftand lurching when you pop it in first. If it's slipping it's gotta be something else.

How long has your bike sat? Mine sat for about 5 years. Once I got it up and running it took about 300 miles to get the clutch to stop slipping on hard launch. But after that time period and two oil changes, no more slip.

My guess is you've either got worn plates or issues from long storage. The fact that it "resets" when you bleed the system could just be subjective (happens to me all the time). Best of luck :action:

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

A blocked return hole in the MC will prevent the clutch releasing, because it will keep pressure on the slave cylinder pushrod.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks, that makes sense! is there a certain way to go about opening that hole up? Mine seems to be blocked at least partially but it's really stiff stuff whatever it is. What do you recommend using to get it opened up? Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
imported post

were is the second hole located in referance to the hole that has the tin shield? mine acts up after a few miles of riding!

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Guys! It was that little return hole, it was plugged and now things seem to be working smoothly! Much appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.