Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL1200 Clutch Slips...Hmmmmmm

825 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  glhonda 
#1 ·
imported post

The wife and I made a 150 mile run to the coast this morning. When I hit the freeway and nailed it, the clutch slipped on the 4-5 shift.

We stopped for gas 50 miles up the road. Got on the hwy and she slipped in 3,4 and 5. Hmmmmmmm

I just changed the oil 50 miles ago, maybe....no. It was the Hondaline oil I've always used.

The 1200 uses a hydraulic clutch, so it's not a bad cable, unless the brake fluid is getting stuck in the hose.

There is no freeplay in the lever. Maybe someone misadjusted it? Nuh uh. I'm the only one that works on it, and there is no adjustment short of modification.

The only thing I can think of is that the clutches are badly worn, and the freeplay is gone. Except the clutch only has 20,000 on it and I'm not a racer. Hmmmmm.

Okay, now the wife's pissed 'cause I just missed theexit for the diner,trying todiagnose what's going on with my clutch.

I have NO freeplay. So I pushed the clutch lever forward, and it MOVED. A full 1/4 inch.

Evidently, the lever was hanging on the shoulder bolt Honda uses to attach the clutch lever to the support. Removed the bolt, cleaned and lubed, and replaced. Now the clutch works fine, I can stop worrying, and the ol' lady gets her breakfast.

Okay, so it was at 2PM, but so what. The bike works!

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

Nice diagnosis and fix. Gotta keep them women happy too.

#5 ·
imported post

glads ya got it fixed gl, we all know, when momma aint happy, aint nobody happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.