Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well , I wanted a project bike,well be careful what you wish for. I was deciding before painting this bike if I should pull the motor to get the frame real good , and do a good job. Before I did, a wanted to check the compression to see if it's even necessary. I did the compression check, and got 155 in 3 cylinders, and 130 in number 4cyl.. Well, clearly a problem somewhere. Next I shot the 130 cylinder with oil, and I got 150 real easy for about 3 more tests. So I feel it's a ring problem, because once and a while the left bank will smoke, and then just stop, I'm like what's going on, maybe sticking rings. I wonder if I should pull the head to look in there, or maybe the rings will unstick, but I'd like to know something, so I know which direction to go with this build up.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,324 Posts
What model and how many miles are on the bike? Did you have the bike warmed up and the throttle wide open?

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
This sounds like a bike that has been sitting for a while. Those compression numbers are good for one that's been sitting. Since putting oil in the #4 cylinder brought the compression up I'd guess there is some rust still on the cylinder walls or rings or the rings are just stuck a little from sitting. If you can run the bike a 100 miles or so then re-test I'm betting those numbers all come up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, and i forgot to mention the 84 gl1200 has 46K on it. I already pulled the head since posting this to get a look. I found nothing much, the cylinders look a little glazed, but no scratches, and I can still see hone marks. I did find my water pump was bad with wobbling play, so I'm glad I found that out now. I did find it funny I can't get the right side belt cover off, it hits the frame before it's out far enough to go over the stud sticking out? I might just tear the engine down, and go threw it, timing belts,clutch plates,rings,valve guide seals,lap the valves,etc.. I plan on keeping this bike for awhile anyway, and I just sold a few guns , and have the extra money now. I bet the rings are stuck though, and if they have enough end gap, I may just hone the cylinders a bit , and clean the ring grooves good. I heard these rings last a long time.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Sound like a plan. It must be nice being able to work on your bike year round with out freezing your butt off. LOL

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,324 Posts
There's no reason to take that engine apart. With less than 50 K, the only way there would be any damage is if it was run without oil.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Yeah I agree with dennis thats really low miles, and not to mention internal engine parts like pistons and rings cost a fortune so no one rebuilds these engines, would be cheaper to find a good used engine if that one really is bad. oh and its normal for the left bank to smoke cause these are horizontally imposed engines oil and fuel tend to run to left side when the bike is on the kickstand.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Yeah I agree with dennis thats really low miles, and not to mention internal engine parts like pistons and rings cost a fortune so no one rebuilds these engines, would be cheaper to find a good used engine if that one really is bad. oh and its normal for the left bank to smoke cause these are horizontally imposed engines oil and fuel tend to run to left side when the bike is on the kickstand.
Years ago with a Subaru ea81 engine I made the mistake of getting it rebuilt because it used oil and smoked a bit. The rebuilt engine was never as peppy as the old one and the only real issue was stuck oil control ring. I later found out that there was a problem with the oil rings and that the motor would of run well for another 200k Klms before needing attention. I certainly would not tear down your motor any further and would recommend using diesel oil in it to un gum those sticky rings.

·
1,819 Posts
If it was me , boring my self to crasy because i had nothing to do , i would maybe take that engine apart .
Otherwise i would just ride this bike for some years , and then MAYBE do another compression test .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.