Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just dropped the coolant out of the radiator and its red with a brown tint and smells like engine oil, the bike was overheating on my first ride but does run smooth and quiet. Presume I now have no other action to take other than head gaskets?
:thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Are you sure there is oil in the coolant? I've seen old overdue coolant that had an oily smell. Can you see oil scum in there?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

There is a light brown greasy film around the top of the rad, and the contents are clean but not seethrough, the smell is fairly strong like when you drain engine oil, the bike had been serviced recently so the fluids are newish, also the radiator was missing over half a litre from the top but still overheated quickly when I had filled it up.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

could be a water pump falure. most likely you would have coolant in the oil from heasgasket and white smoke and bubbling in the coolant
wilf

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
could be a water pump falure. most likely you would have coolant in the oil from heasgasket and white smoke and bubbling in the coolant
wilf
Could be a waterpump 0-ring gone bad.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I'll check inside the water pump, the previous owner said he had a new one fitted but I dont have a reciept to proove it and I've read a post where a new one was fitted fith a small seal missing which caused problems, suppose you cant take anything for granted, fingers crossed I can avoid the heads off but I'm still expecting it to be the main fault. Thanks for the tips.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Just taken the thermostat out and it was jammed half open and bent on an angle , boiled it in a pan and it stayed the same, took it out and snapped it shut with pliers, boiled it and took it out a few times and it seems to work perfectly...not sure what that tells me?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Replace it. Get one at the auto parts.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Go to any cager vehicle using the old short life anti-freeze that has not been maintained. Remove the cap and stick your finger down the radiator neck and you will probably find that very same brown scum/funky/oil smelling crud.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Being that it was stuck half open also means it was stuck half closed. may be a source of your heating problem> thro the old one away for shure better to run non atoll than running a damaged one. Look for the auto crossoers

wilf

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

spongebob
If you suspect head gaskets, I would pressure test the cooling system and also do a leak down of the cylinders to confirm before tearing into an engine that may not need the repair. Put a pressure gauge on the rad when doing the leak down and that will show if any head gasket is bad and which one.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Will do thanks, just had the same advice off a mate who can do the test, I'll put a new thermostat in, flush the rad and get it down to him, only a mile to ride so it won't overheat.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Sorry to keep posting every time I look at the bike but I've just found that the rubber pipe from the radiator to the expansion tank has snapped off on the radiator end, this would explain the low coolant level and overheating even more, if its my lucky day the cooling system will be ok and the engine hasn't been damaged with the overheating...that would be a nice Christmas present.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Amen to that!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Its looking good, new thermostat and pipe to the expansion tank , ran the bike for half an hour in the shed and it sits on 6 bars temp with the fan tripping on and off, no smoke or steam from the exhaust and the engine sounds good, I put a seperate switch for the fan on just in case and the coolant is nice and clean, hope it stays the same when I give it a test run, thanks for the tips, hopefully I was just worried unnessacerily.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Thanks for updating. Hoping for the best! Happy new Year!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Update, ran the bike with the rad cap off and I'm getting a bubble every minute or so, will get it tested soon but presume exhaust gasses are getting in so back to my original feeling of bad head gasket, also on a test ride it ran sluggish at over 4000rpm and the induction sound changed:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Just borrowed a mates chemical sniff tester, fixed it on the plastic coolant tank and blocked the overflow, ran it hot for 20 mins getting a flow of bubbles each time I blipped the throttle, the liquid stayed blue rather than changing green to indicate exhaust gasses in coolant. Better than a positive test but I dont know what the bubbles are or where they are coming from? PS cant find anyone local to do leakdown test yet.

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

A radiator shop should be able to do the pressure test. Have you checked the compression or looked at the plugs? Might tell you something. I suspect a head gasket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.