Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

spongebob wrote:
Just taken the thermostat out and it was jammed half open and bent on an angle , boiled it in a pan and it stayed the same, took it out and snapped it shut with pliers, boiled it and took it out a few times and it seems to work perfectly...not sure what that tells me?
Tells you that it was likely installed incorrectly, gasket binding or some such, possibly upside down. The oil in the coolant is most likely a pinched o-ring. There are two o-rings that to around the pump body that are very easy to pinch and cause a leak. Head gaskets are a possibility but normally if you have a head gasket leak you'll see white smoke (steam) coming out of the pipes. Two other quick checks you can do to see if the head gaskets are leaking are first pull the spark plugs. If one is unusually clean and white and looks like it might have been steam cleaned it was. With coolant from a leaking head gasket. The other check is to run the engine with the radiator cap off and see if you see any bubbles coming up in the radiator neck. If you do that's a bad head gasket giveaway.

My bet is a poorly installed water pump. When installing the pump be sure to lube the housing and the o-rings with some grease. Wipe a light coat of grease in the front cover so that the rings will push it ahead of them as the pump goes in. That will help a lot to prevent a ring being pushed out of the groove and being cut.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
imported post

Did a rad pump up pressure test and it held its pressure ok even though there is a tiny drip at the bottom, rode 20 miles with the chemical tester stuck on the expansion tank and the blue fluid stayed blue. Will properly check water pump next. Should I be able to see the coolant flowing at temp in the top of the radiator as it doesnt seem to move ?The plugs are all uniform and look just as they should (I've got new water pump seals and gasket so will check it at the weekend) Thanks

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.