Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone PLEASE text or call me and tell me WHERE the cooling fan fuse is located? I've looked under the seat, on the left side of the fairing pocket, and under the faux tank. I've checked EVERY fuse I can find, and can't find one blown ANYWHERE...but I no longer have power to my cooling fan switch and consequently no power to the fan motor either. I was wiring a parallel switch across the cooling fan switch so that if the motor started heating up, I could turn the fan on manually if needed. I had power when I started, on the green wire. Now I don't. Must have blown a fuse somewhere...but I can't find it...Anyone know where I need to look? Please text or call if u know...need to get this back together before dark and out of the weather, its supposed to rain tonight....
My numberis 870-344-1815. My name is Robert. Thanks for any help anyone can offer....

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

It eluded me for a while.

Yep - remove the seat - It's in an inline fuse holder.

Assuming that is - that your wing's wiring is unmodified.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

It's only under the seat if it's an '84. All other models including the LTD/SEI are in the fuse box.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
It's only under the seat if it's an '84. All other models including the LTD/SEI are in the fuse box.
Ohhh, good catch.

I have only once chased it on an 84. Disregard my input. :action:

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

That's what i thought.On my 86 when my, temp sensor went out, the fan would not shut off, so i remember pulling a fuse in the fuse box in the false tank to stop it,since we were on a tour at the time.
Good to know the 84 was different.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
I have only once chased it on an 84. Disregard my input. :action:
Not at all. This is one of those posts where the year was left out of the description. As far as we know, it may very well be an '84.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Robert will probably update us on the model year later. I hope he found the fuse and got it fixed.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Sorry guys, thought i had that n therr. It is an 84. Found the fuse. Found out that my parallel switch was my issue. I disconnected the switch and i had power again. What i cant seem to figure out is why when i use the dwith to supply a ground to the fan, the fan still doesnt come on. Going to run wires directly to the fan next from the battery to see if its actually working. Its my understanding (and i may b wrong on this) that the fan has power all the time, and the thermal switch provides a ground circuit once the correct temp is reached. So, theoretically, i should b able to ground the other side of the fan wiring and the fan should kick on....but it isnt....and that has me puzzled...so either my theory is wrong, or my fab is bad, or my switch is bad, or my wiring has a bad spot.....if my theory is wrong, i hope someone will correct me on it!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

You got it right. Power to fuse, to fan motor, to thermal switch to ground.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Ok...so, i wonder why my parallel switch didnt work??? Wired n parallel with the thermal switch, it should have bypassed the thermal switch when i turned it on. Wired in parallel directly from the ground side of the fan motor to ground should have also turned the fan on...but neither one did...

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

its always possible that the fan itself has gone bad

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thats what im thinking....going to run one more test when i get back home. Going to pull the timing covers anyway to ck cam timing to make sure its correct...so ill have the radiator loose...wont b much trouble to ck and/replace the fan if needed...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.