Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The infamous GL1200 connecter, the one next to the battery is corroded - again! I have lost count of the number of times I have replaced it. Even coated in dielectric grease, it still gets corroded.

Is there any downside to just tossing the connector and hard wiring it? Orwould that just move the problem to a less visisble area?

Thanks

Bill Weber

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

I don't have that connector, or regulator/rectifier anymore I even removed my stator last weekend (thank you again Poor Boy)

The first thing that comes to mind is that if you are pulling the ebgine you'd have to cut those wires, and when reinstalling the engine, splice them again; instead of just a plug. Considering what pulling the engine involves,3 splices is not time consuming at all.

If I was you I would splice them asap.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

The generally accepted rule is to remove the plug and solder the wires together. While you are at it you might as well remove the false tank and have a look at the vol reg connector. That is another spot that is prone to overheating and arcing as well. My suggestion would be to remove the three yellow wires (stator wires) from that connector and run new wires directly from the stator to the volt reg. That will eliminate two potential problem areas and *MAY* extend the life of your stator.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

When I replaced my stator a few years ago, I installed a new plug from Honda. Bad move on my part. It lasted less than two months so I soldered the wires like I should have done in the first place. No problems since I pulled the plug so to speak. Take it out and throw it as far as you can. I do have a volt meter on my bike as well.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
imported post

Hi MCFF, here is a picture of the plugs under the top shelter by the regulator. Pull the left sidecover off and lookon front side of the battery. There will be a plug there with three yellow wires. That is the plug to cut out and solder the wires together.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

OP stated "The infamous GL1200 connecter, the one next to the battery is corroded - again!"

Not sure that the OP is talking about the three yellow wires to/from the alternator.

OP may be talking about the 4 wire connector at the back of the battery that is used for the starter relay/battery charging...

If that's what the OP is talking about then I too would like a picture as I replaced mine and due to medical problems and meds I can't remember which wire went where in the connector. Closeup "color" PICTURES would really help.

Ken

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

The picture that Bellboy40 has posted shows the location of the volt reg but the wiring /plugs are not the stock set up. Someone has added an additional wiring harness to that bike. The stock arrangement is just one white connector. This picture shows new wires running directly from the volt reg back to the stator and not through the plug......

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.