Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

what rpm should my 84 be running in 5th or 0D gear ? and whats the best website to find random parts or example im looking for the entire left mirror setup the little part that goes around the cb to hold it in place and the locking door above the gascap any help is welcomed and thankyou and godbless

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

also one last thing theres this thing that sits behind my battery its got a fuse connected to it and a bunch of wires what the heck is it and were can i find one it looks like its about to fall apart

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. I can't really say for your RPM question, but I do know that my 04 gl1800 sits at a little under 3,000 rpm at about 70mph indicated. for your other question, http://www.bikebandit.com has some good blown up pictures of each part along with part numbers. Some parts might be hard to find, but ebay and sites like it should have some of the parts you are looking for. You can always check the for sale/wanted section of this site as well. Oh, and my favorite place for parts is wingstuff.com lots of goodies.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

sounds like the solenoid

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

In 5th gear doing 70 MPH Im running 3350 RPM's, about 3200 at 65...... but I rarely do the speed limit.....

EDIT: I should clarify that speed limit thing....... When my speedometer is showing 70, I am actually doing about 66. My speed is off (typical) 68 is 65 58 is 55..........

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

You're RPM's should be about 2800 to 7000 depending on the speed. Anything lower than 2800 will make the motor rattle like a diesel. I think 7000 is red line. :)

Now if you want to know the RPM's as compared to a speed, what speed are you asking about?

For your parts I would check with Iraqi Ram on this board to see if he has any of your parts. Also a parts wanted add in the for sale section may get you the parts also. Other than that, ebay may be your best bet.

When you say behind the battery do you mean to the right of the battery? that would be the starter solenoid and the main fuse. The main fuse is a dog bone (thin piece of metal) and often gets wired around with an inline 30 amp fuse and holder. The connectors for the wires can get brittle there.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

1984 Asp runs 60 mph at around 3,000 rpm.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

miki101 wrote:
what rpm should my 84 be running in 5th or 0D gear ? and whats the best website to find random parts or example im looking for the entire left mirror setup the little part that goes around the cb to hold it in place and the locking door above the gascap any help is welcomed and thankyou and godbless
miki101

here is a list of the websites i have used to get GL1200 parts, it took me 2-3 weeks to find good stores online. Hopefully you can find what you need.

http://wingstuff.com/
http://goldwingchrome.com/Home.asp
http://www.gl1200parts.com/
http://www.touringcycleaccessories.com/
http://www.usedgoldwingparts.com/
http://www.mototourinc.com/mototourinc_files/goldwing-gl1200-accessories.htm
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

If it is behind the battery, toward the rear of the bike, it is the starter relay (does the bike start ok?) if it does that part is working. What kind of fuse id it? If it is a thin flat piece of metal held in place by 2 screws, it is the original "dogbone" fuse. Most people cut those out, solder in an automotive fuse holder, and install a 30 amp blade type fuse. Mine still has that dogbone fuse in it, after 26 years, the main problems with them are due to corrosion, and not having a replacement if it should blow while you are out on the road.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
If it is behind the battery, toward the rear of the bike, it is the starter relay (does the bike start ok?) if it does that part is working. What kind of fuse id it? If it is a thin flat piece of metal held in place by 2 screws, it is the original "dogbone" fuse. Most people cut those out, solder in an automotive fuse holder, and install a 30 amp blade type fuse. Mine still has that dogbone fuse in it, after 26 years, the main problems with them are due to corrosion, and not having a replacement if it should blow while you are out on the road.
The original dogbone fuses are still avail through Honda so you can purchase spares. I believe the biggest issue was corrosion and overheating where the 4-wire connector attaches to the solenoid.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/honda?s_kwcid=TC|8710|goldwing%20trailer%20hitch||S||5087611137&gclid=CPKH5P6496cCFQEHbAodgGeGqA

http://whiteysclassicwings.com/

Go to the bikers workshop area nd on the 1200 wing site they have a great DIY page,

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
JerryH wrote:
The original dogbone fuses are still avail through Honda so you can purchase spares. I believe the biggest issue was corrosion and overheating where the 4-wire connector attaches to the solenoid.
The dog bone fuse gets brittle, even the spare, and usually falls apart when touched. It can develop a hair line crack and cause the loss of power. Replacing with an inline 30 amp auto fuse is a nice upgrade. either that or replace the dog bone (and the spare) every year or two to be on the safe side.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

RPM's are measured in 50's and speed is in whole numbers, so take the values plus or minus 50, so it's not totally accurate, but 3050 [email protected] 60mph, 3250 @ 65, 3500 @ 70, 3700 @ 75, and 3950 @ 80

As far as parts, eBay, Whiteys, and here on the forum are good sources for used parts, I still haven't found a decent (affordable) source for new parts.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
wingsam41 wrote:
JerryH wrote:
The dog bone fuse gets brittle, even the spare, and usually falls apart when touched. It can develop a hair line crack and cause the loss of power. Replacing with an inline 30 amp auto fuse is a nice upgrade. either that or replace the dog bone (and the spare) every year or two to be on the safe side.
It's true Jay that an original dogbone may have developed a crack. I still run the dogbone set-up but replaced it pre-emptively with a new one when I bought bike-I also have spares. I also have an inline 30 amp fuse and holder ready to go for roadside repairs. I was under the impression that the more common failure is the overheating of the connector which is the primary reason for people replacing the connector with the inline sort rather just putting in a new dogbone...

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
jwhitmore44 wrote:
It's true Jay that an original dogbone may have developed a crack. I still run the dogbone set-up but replaced it pre-emptively with a new one when I bought bike-I also have spares. I also have an inline 30 amp fuse and holder ready to go for roadside repairs. I was under the impression that the more common failure is the overheating of the connector which is the primary reason for people replacing the connector with the inline sort rather just putting in a new dogbone...
That dog bone fuse worked for years, it's just nice to understand what you may be dealing with. Sounds like you understand as you are prepared to deal with it. I do think that the connector over heating can be an issue there also. Old electrical connections need cleaned up from time to time.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

:waving:

Welcome to the forum.

I recommend keeping the rpm in high gear below 8,000 rpm, ya might get some tickets if ya keep it up too high.

Can't really recommend a store, there are some better than others.

Ride like the wind.... :action:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Red line on my 84 GL1200 is 6500 rpm. I'd keep it below that. Also, don't use 5th unless you're going 60+. You're chugging the motor below that. 2800-5000 rpm is my normal riding rpm's. I shift between 3200-3500 rpm when driving normal, up to 5000 rpm when I'm jumpin on it. I seldom go over 5000 rpm. I just don't need to go that fast :)

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

My 1200 sits about 3,000 rpm at 60 mph cruising in 5th. As far as part i have had great luck on E Bay.

Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.