Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
'86 gl1200
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Household hardware Audio equipment Gas Auto part Metal

my gl 1200 crackles on release, especially at low speeds.
it only does it from the right exhaust.
I checked the collectors and changed the or.
the idle screw is set at 2 turns.

what else could i do?
in the photo it is clearly seen that candles 1_3 (right) are thinner than 2_4.

· Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
24,359 Posts
Old age, on top of stupidity, prevent me from remembering what and where, but I'm pretty sure there's an anti-backfire circuit, or doohickey, or something. It is below the carbs I think.

· Registered
95 Posts
the doohicky is under the manifold. there are two vacuum pots that feed from the left rear carb . the anti backfire enrichens the idle mix on decel. btw, that vac tees and also feeds the ecm, which advances timing in certain conditions/gears.

· Administrator
29,612 Posts
the doohicky is under the manifold. there are two vacuum pots that feed from the left rear carb . the anti backfire enrichens the idle mix on decel. btw, that vac tees and also feeds the ecm, which advances timing in certain conditions/gears.
No, there are 2 connections for the vacuum lines. The one on the #4 manifold goes to the valve under the plenum, the one on the side of #4 carb goes to the spark control unit.

· Registered
'86 gl1200
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
now I get it. but as you can see from the photos the problem is only in the 2 right cylinders.
they are "thinner" than those on the left.

· Premium Member
133 Posts
Us Yanks refer to the "thinner" condition and being "lean". If you're a Brit, the word is "weakness". A few years back I put stainless washers to shim the needle jets up a bit when rebuilding my carbs. My bike is a California species which, I was told, was set-up rather "thin" on the jetting due to the California emission requirements. The shims helped with the deceleration "crackles" but generally cured the acceleration stumbles. We can see the difference between the two banks of "candles" and I certainly wouldn't advocate enriching your needles to compensate for a malfunctioning system that should be repaired.

My 86 1200i has developed the same racket in the last year or two. I'd reckon its time for me to do a thorough look-see of the "anti-crackle" system as well. I can't wait to use my newly-learned terms on my BSA group friends. Thank's!

· Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
63,385 Posts
Sent you a PM / DM / Conversation,
whatever you want to call it.

click on the Avatar, top right of page, there is a RED DOT there, that means someone wrote you a Message

· Registered
'86 gl1200
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
meanwhile there have been developments.
the different color of the spark plugs was due to an electrical problem.
for a few weeks the bike was no longer running well, as if it were running on 3 and a half cylinders.
it was the voltage regulator connector that was blown.

I have now set the idle screw to 3 turns and the popping problem has improved, but not completely resolved.

p.s. i don't speak a word of english, i use google translate. if I post inappropriate terms, take it out on him.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts