Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I want to know if a Head off a 1987, will work on my 1984 Wing.
I really don't have any doubts about it all bolting up, but must I be sure that both heads are matched years? I recently read elsewhere that the camshaft grind is different on the 87s. can anyone confirm this.

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
There are differences. I don't know what all, but the cams do have a different lift. Only about 5 degrees, so I don't know if you'd notice on a 30 year old motor but...
I think you should just get some '84 heads, to be safe.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree. the carbs would not like that. but if they share the same valves sizes. switch the cames! that should woork.

·
Born in the USSR
300 Posts
Hello all. I want to know if a Head off a 1987, will work on my 1984 Wing.
I really don't have any doubts about it all bolting up, but must I be sure that both heads are matched years? I recently read elsewhere that the camshaft grind is different on the 87s. can anyone confirm this.

Thanks in advance
No. The 1987 head will not suit 1984 engine due to difference in cam shafts.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx fella's. Im just trying to locate heads with the least amount of miles on them! Just thought I'd have a better chance with the newest ones I could get.
So, an 86' head would be fine??

By the way luvmyhotrod, I noticed the pic of your 77' winger you got there,(before I read it below the pic). I had a 77' when I was about 20 year old!!! Loved that ride!!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Honestly, I think you should go with '84. The '84 motor was the last year they made them in Japan and there are significant differences between them and the U.S motors.
I don't know what all the differences are, but there have been some people on this forum with head problems that seemed to be the result of wrong year application. I can't be any more specific than that because I just don't know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.