Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

i recently started to rebuild my dads 1984 GL1200 Aspencade... he and I had it running and after years of the previous owners wear and tear and improper timing it put one of the valves through the piston head. we finished fixing all this and we replaced the pistons and put a new left side cylinder head on. we had been told that the 1985 GL1200 Aspencade and the 1984 GL1200 aspencades cylinder heads and the entire engines were identical. However the people who told us this were wrong as I am discovering that the 1984 model has what is called a secondary air supply valve that fits under the seal between the head and the port that goes to the carburetor that is not on the 1985 models... has anyone else run into this problem? also are these secondary air supply valves necessary? is there a way to machine this head down so as to make these fit or are they needed to make the engine run properly, or can I bypass these???

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum.

The 84 and 85 engines while interchangeable are not identical. Pulse generators on the rear in 84 and on the front in 85 is the major difference, possibly other minor differences.

Your problem however is that the head you bought is non US spec.
I know Canadian spec heads do not have the slow air port, I'm not sure about other country's.

Having the new to you head milled and drilled to add the ports would probably cost more than another used one.

Some people have eliminated the whole slow air octopus. I'm not sure how that worked out for them or whether re-jetting of the carburetors was necessary.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

We cut open the old head that was destroyed by the broken valve and checked out the system. It is basically just an exhaust return to help burn off uncooked fuel. Nearest we can figure, we can probably either bypass it or create a small filter on the octopus hoses to trick it. we are going to try both and compare the idle and advance with each and go from there. Figure some carb adjustments will also have to be done.

However, if anyone else has run into this, please give us your solutions.

·
Administrator
27,923 Posts
imported post

Are you sure you didn't get an 1100 head?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Are you sure you didn't get an 1100 head?
Anything is possible but the difference in the camshaft holder is rather obvious.
As I said some if not all non US spec GL1200 heads do not have the slow air ports.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Yeah, it came off an 85 gl1200a...the Canadian thing makes sense as the yard we bought it from is in Washington state, right near the border.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.