Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a friend with a gl1200 who is complaining about the handling of the bike in the corners. He asked me to ride it, and man I can see what he's talking about! If you weave the bike, like a slalom course, the damn thing wants to "dive in" for want of better words. It feels like it's going to make a 90° turn on you with each sweep. His previous 1100 didn't do this and my 1200 certainly doesn't. It's scary to say the least.

He has done a fresh fork oil change and it improved it some, I can detect no excess play in the stem bearings and there is no "notchiness" felt.

Where does he start looking? Tires are Dunlops with minimal wear. He has ordered progressive springs and stem bearings.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

have you checked the front an rear tire pressures ? try using max pressure front and rear . also whats the air pressure in the forks an rear shocks.try it with max or just a little lower air pressure.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

yes I agree, check the manufacturers web site, for the minimum pressures in the tires, set the air pressure in the forks, front max 6lbs and rear around 28lbs, you may need to adjust the rear as the ride goes.

also set the trac system, on both sides of the front wheel to either 2 or 3.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

my aspy used to do this with E2's no longer does it with E3's,try pumping up the rear shocks and see if it helps also,could be the shocks are worn out and need at the least a change in fluid

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

Tire pressure X2, I just experienced the same thing last week when I went riding on an 1100 I had been working on and forgot to check the tire pressure. Brought it back and aired up the tires to 40PSI, whole new bike.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Tire pressure X3.

I ran mine at the stated pressure on the tire and it did the same thing, bumped it up to 40PSI and it was much better. Added a SuperBrace to the forks and it's gone! For now.......

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

+1 on all of the above, plus also:

Check your steering head bearing play. Put the bike up on the centerstand and then put a jack under the engine and lift the front wheel off the groud. Move your handlebars from left to right, stop to stop. I forgot the spec off the top of my head but I think it is about 1.0 to 1.5lbs of force to move them. If they are sloppy loose and you can just give them a push and theyfly over to the stop, your steeering head bearings need to be re-torqued. Also stand in front of the bike (wheel still off the ground), grab the forks as low down as you can get a grip on them and pull and push forward and backward. If there is any looseness or clunking, the steering head bearings are definitely loose.

Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

Ok.. Imma jump in (Or "Dive In" here)..
I am the friend of which Doxbike speaks..
Thanks for all the tips.
As I recall I aired the Front to 36 and rear to 40..Will double check..and push both up to 40..
Front Forks and Rear shocks are air to about max.
Anti-dive adj is at 1.. Will move to 3..
I got the progressive springs yesterday waiting on the stem bearings.
I personally suspect the bearings to be the culprit..
Unfortunately, I will be doing all at once without the opportunity to diagnose individually.
Kinda all or nothing..
I'll let you know the results.
Thanks

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,594 Posts
imported post

Some brands of tires have funny characteristics, too. I've only had one set of Metzlers, because they alwayshandled like they were low on air.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

I believe I had Elite II on my 1100 before I went to 404's..
Difference day and night. I am sure the 1200 also has 404's..
I don't like riding in rain anyway (Me and the Wing are too Purdy to get wet) and everything I read bout the Metzler indicated they don't seem to shed water as well.
I have time before changing tires.. Unless none of the above deliver the anticipated results.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

Just to update results...
New Head Steam Bearings..
New Front Wheel Bearings..
Progressive Springs up front... = New Bike..
This correction combination unfortunately did not isolate the problem..
Only thing left I believe are Progressive 416's on the back. I noticed they have a range ratio of 13" - 14.5..Is that part of the order by Year Model ?? Or will I need to be specific of size when I call Santa ??

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Shotgunner wrote:
Only thing left I believe are Progressive 416's on the back. I noticed they have a range ratio of 13" - 14.5..Is that part of the order by Year Model ?? Or will I need to be specific of size when I call Santa ??
Just state the year and model, Gl1200 should be all the same shock #.
If you want more or less length for your leg size, state that to Progressive to get the # and length you want.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Shotgunner wrote:
I can't really help. My own 1200 runs front forks from RaceTech.

That said - in what part of SoCal are you? My sniffer is pretty good for things that are out of whack.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

To be sure I identify with South California rather than So. Cal.. Norwalk...... Between Los Angeles and Disneyland..The front end work really made an entirely different ride.. I have read glowing reviews of the 416 rears.. And seems like the sooner I do it the sooner Imma gonna appreciate it.. :makemyday:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Shotgunner wrote:
To be sure I identify with South California rather than So. Cal.. Norwalk...... Between Los Angeles and Disneyland..The front end work really made an entirely different ride.. I have read glowing reviews of the 416 rears.. And seems like the sooner I do it the sooner Imma gonna appreciate it.. :makemyday:
Huh. Lived here 10 years and not heard it called "South California". I hear "Southern California", or "So Cal". You're the first.

Sorry to offend, good luck with your 1200. Sounds like you're on track.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

if you are a big person, run the pressure in the back shocks up to 45 to 50 lbs. i am 285# and ride with that much air pressure all the time. it makes a great deal of difference. regards walkabout :smiler:

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

Rusty. No apology necessary.. I am absolutely not offended.. Just my sometimes off tilt sense of humor.. Thanks..
Dave

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
..Huh. Lived here 10 years and not heard it called "South California". I hear "Southern California", or "So Cal". You're the first....
me too.. 39 years in San Diego and 2 in Rancho Cucamonga... Southern California or So Cal but never "South California".. (have heard Norwalk called "South LA")

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.