Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, my name is Tom I’m retired, older then dirt and decided after 27 years of not being on a bike that I would like to ride again,....well I found this 85 aspencade that someone took the carburetor system and other items off and let it sit for 3 years in a garage. Well I bought it for $500 and hauled it home, I have started to checkout the box of parts and assemble some stuff and know that along the way I will need some advice as I put this thing back together so this is why I joined the forum. So far I have spent a lot of time getting familiar with what is where and where I am going to start on the repairs/reassembly.

Part 2

Now I have the bike together and to my surprise it started right up and even run fairly decent.....however I noticed a miss in the idle speed and also some dirty looking gas/oil mixture dripping out of the center section of the exhaust pipe ???....and of course that caused a smoking problem for awhile, then when the engine warmed up the gas leak stopped along with the smoking and the bike ran better, however I am sure the carbs need set with a vacuum gage and I was wondering if that could be the cause of my gas leak in the exhaust pipe?

Thanks for any help

Tom

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Welcome Tom. I have an '85 LTD, with fuel injection, so I am not familiar with Goldwing carbs. But I have owned a lot of bikes with carbs, so I am familiar with motorcycle carbs in general.

I would say that yes your carbs need to be synchronized, but I doubt that has anything to do with a gas leak. First of all, are you sure it was gas, and if so, exactly where it was leaking from? If it was from the exhaust, then it was probably something that collected in there over the years. The only way for liquid gas to get into the exhaust is through the cylinders, and if all cylinders are firing, that is unlikely. Bikes often do strange things after being started for the first time in years. Main thing is to notice if it continues. Other problems may show up as well. I would at least replace the timing belts and remove the rer wheel and check the drive splines. If they are ok, clean them good, lube with moly paste, and reinstall. The belts and drive splines seem to be the Goldwings biggest weak points.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,762 Posts
imported post

Hi IC, and welcome to the forum.
I agree, there may have just been some residual crap in the exhaust.
Ride the bike a couple hundred thousand miles and report back.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the helpful information guys but after checking closer and having 2 other people smell the fluid dripping from under the exhaust pipe it has been determined to be oil not gas as I thought and as I said before it only drips for maybe 10 minutes then stops? I am wondering if an oil return port in the head is clogged up? I was thinking I would take it for a short ride this weekend early in the morning (no traffic) and see if anything changes, but first I figure on buying a couple of vacuum gages at HF and balance the carbs as the engine seems to be running really nice.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

iccats wrote:
Thanks for the helpful information guys but after checking closer and having 2 other people smell the fluid dripping from under the exhaust pipe it has been determined to be oil not gas as I thought and as I said before it only drips for maybe 10 minutes then stops? I am wondering if an oil return port in the head is clogged up? I was thinking I would take it for a short ride this weekend early in the morning (no traffic) and see if anything changes, but first I figure on buying a couple of vacuum gages at HF and balance the carbs as the engine seems to be running really nice.
Make sure you don't have a stuck float causing the cylinder to fill with fuel. I would drain or check oil to be sure it isn't fuel contaminated. Frequent oil changes will only help bring out the health of the bike anyway.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

If it's running well other than at idle I'd ride it a few hundred miles before doing anything to the carbs. Some Sea Foam in the gas may help.

But first, you should change the timing belts. These are "interference" engines. If a belt fails you will be rebuilding the heads at the very least. The belts are cheap insurance and are available at O'Reilly, Napa or Rock Auto. The numbers are Gates - #5043 or #T070 (2 ea.)
NAPA - #250070 (2 ea.)Goodyear - #40070 (2 ea.)
There are several tutorials here to guide you through changing them. It isn't at all difficult but some care is needed to get the timing marks right.

There are several places that oil might leak from the engine. A good cleaning and then run it will help to locate the leaks. Corn starch or talcum can be used to help pinpoint small leaks. Shake or spray it on the suspect area. If you don't find the leak, change the belts and ride it like you stole it.

I did much the same as you a couple of years ago when I bought an 1100. Then I had to have a 1200. I keep looking for a bargain in a 1500 but not sure I want to go there.

Best of luck with your new toy,

Lyle

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

ThanksLyle I am going to take your advice as I have been told about the timing belts by a few other people and figure I had better listen. As far as the oil leak it is dripping from inside the exhaust pipe right by the foot peg on the left side so I know that it is coming from inside the head, no oil/gas or water leaks anywhere else, and the idle speed seems to change somewhat often and when the engine is cold I get some backfire a couple of times on acceleration. Also I drained the gas take (sucked it out) as the gas was very old and even smelled stale, so I am sure there was a small amount left when I put in fresh gas. I am going to get the Sea Foam today and ad it to the gas as I am sure some contamination is in the gas mixture.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Any chance the shifter shaft seal is what's leaking? Pretty coomon issue and easy to fix.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

hi tom, while you are going to harbor freight get a compression guage, test all 4 cylinders for compression, dont be scared by the numbers its just an indicator of the general health of the engine, remember when running the compression test to have the kill switch on the handlebars in the off position and the throttle wide open.

how many miles on the bike?
seems like a good price on it, hope it works out for you

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

Ive put two bikes together recently that sat for two years I would also get dripping out the back and smoke at first I would run the bike in the shop with the doors open or take it out on center stand make sure fluids arent contaminated with gas and full radiator to and run it till it cycles the fan,they both are in perfect running order now I think what your getting is condinsation,exhaust mixture along with unburnt fuel, a full tune up and running should clear it up..

If all else fails sell it to me for 500:yelling:but Im sure its fine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.